Trans disassemble reassemble w/ MS LSD & 5th gear swap

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Josh
Supporting Member

Trans disassemble reassemble w/ MS LSD & 5th gear swap

Post by Josh »

Well I happen to find this little gem and it has TONS of great info on how to do the MazdaSpeed Protege LSD swap. I was planning on writing up a how to when I do mine in the next few days but after finding this it would be a waist of time ;)

Enjoy - http://www.tc.umn.edu/~frah0014//ZX2/Pr ... ebuild.pdf

I think we could sticky this!?

Also noted is all part numbers needed for the swap. It should be known that there are now 3 generations of this differential. By ordering one the dealership should direct you to the newest version.
crazycanadian

Re: Trans disassemble reassemble w/ MS LSD & 5th gear swap

Post by crazycanadian »

Its not a bad write up... I only glanced threw it, but I didn't see anything about setting up your bearing preloads... Setting your preloads during assembly, I consider to be the most important part of the job... There is a couple different ways of measuring this..

This is an idea of what a tool would looke like for removing the races... Image

If you have the seals remove you can also use a punch to tap the races out... sometimes if the races are loose enough you can flip the case over and hit it with a rubber mallet and the races will fall out...

These are the shims you use for setting your bearing preloads... They go behind the races for the input shaft, counter shaft and diff... The case half you pull off when opening up the transmission is the side that the shims go in...

Return to “Transmissions”