Hidden antenna, zero static?

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Hidden antenna, zero static?

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm looking to shave the antennas on both of my MX-3s, and would like not only preserve my ability to listen to the radio, but improve it. The stock Antennas on my cars suck, and I get static in the middle of the city my stations are broadcast from. I'd like to remove this problem from my life. :lol:

Does anybody have any suggestions for an easily concealed antenna that doesn't weigh a ton, that will meet my needs?

Thanks a bunch. ;)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mikeinaus

Re: Hidden antenna, zero static?

Post by mikeinaus »

maybe its your headunit? my old sony deck had great reception but my new alpine 7" touchscreen multimedia deck gets horrible reception.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'd considered that, but it honestly doesn't make sense to me. I get great reception in any area without power lines or lots of businesses, but the moment either of those are present my reception turns to crap. This is with the antennas extended, as well as retracted. Extended does improve the signal noticeably, but not enough to allow me to turn up my music to a desirable level. It's pretty hard to crank it up when all you hear is static. :(

Also, it's a problem in 2 different cars.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
whitete
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by whitete »

Hey mrmazda on our first purple k8 i had same problem here was my solution and it seemed to work so well

first i took the existing wire hooking into the back of the stereo took all the antenna wire out got a new wiring kit for antenas from crappy tire and took a 6 inch bmw antenna 30$ at wreckers mounted it on the roof towards the rear window ran the new better quality wire gold plated aswell and results were night and day i figured it was the bmw antenna more so then the wires.. But..

I also mounted my ground wire from the radio to bare metal, Not on the stock location either.

Best of luck. . Ps i havnt done it on our klze because i only listen to ipod and digital stations

best of luck let me know if youre attemping this. Well worth it and could use other antennas thats just what i found wandering around
Red96'Mx3 KL-ZE 2.5, CAI, full 2.5'' exhaust,cat delete, black stock rims polished lip, cross drilled brakes, (aftermarket bumper with halo foglights-Needs work) .
http://www.cardomain.com/id/whitete

Previous rides
Purple94' Mx3 K8-ZE CAI, Exhaust, plugs,wires
Purple95' Mx3 K8 american, CAI, Exhaust, plugs, wires,cap/rotor fuel pump, short shift,
Black 94' Mx3 i4 Stock ( hit by dear )
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

When it gets static-ey, open your window and just grab the antenna with your hand and see if it improves.

Not sure what that will tell you, but its fun.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ryan wrote:When it gets static-ey, open your window and just grab the antenna with your hand and see if it improves.

Not sure what that will tell you, but its fun.
:lol: Been doing this for 2 years, and it gets cold in winter.

Also, it tells me that the antenna SUCKS.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

whitete wrote:
Thanks for the tips, I've considered this but decided I want to go with the flush roof look, and try to keep the Antenna as hidden as possible! It means it will cost more, which sucks; However, I get to ditch the bent piece of Metal that's adorned my car for ~20 years :P
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
whitete

Post by whitete »

search ebay for hidden antennas :D or the mazda 6 in roof antenna ? good luck on the project let me know how it goes
Red96'Mx3 KL-ZE 2.5, CAI, full 2.5'' exhaust,cat delete, black stock rims polished lip, cross drilled brakes, (aftermarket bumper with halo foglights-Needs work) .
http://www.cardomain.com/id/whitete

Previous rides
Purple94' Mx3 K8-ZE CAI, Exhaust, plugs,wires
Purple95' Mx3 K8 american, CAI, Exhaust, plugs, wires,cap/rotor fuel pump, short shift,
Black 94' Mx3 i4 Stock ( hit by dear )
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Good news: there are plenty of aftermarket antennas for you to try.

Bad news: antennas are hit or miss, which means you may need to buy a few of them, before finding one that'll work, especially near power lines.

More bad news: generally speaking, the more selective an antenna is, the more expensive/harder to hide.
You have 2 choices here: you can go for a high end, passive antenna (which is gonna be complex, and, most likely, very hard to hide, or you can look for an active one (a simpler antenna, equipped with a high frequency amplifier/filter) which is gonna be expensive, and a little more complex to install.

Finally, there's always a chance that, no matter what you do, you won't be able to get rid of the interference. Power lines emit an EM field around them, that is, because of the sheer power that produces it, very difficult to filter out. Depending on the line voltage, and the current that flows through it, that may prove to be an impossible task for a car antenna. :shrug:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Awesome, more money. :lol:
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Yeah, I knew you'd love it... :lol:
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'll probably attempt whitete's suggestion for one of the cars...
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

HD Radio is free, or you could pay? for Satellite radio.

FM radio is still FM, you can only get so good in quality. That or start building a good Mp3 collection.

Even with a great FM reception, I love how a CD/Mp3 sounds in comparison.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:HD Radio is free, or you could pay? for Satellite radio.

FM radio is still FM, you can only get so good in quality. That or start building a good Mp3 collection.

Even with a great FM reception, I love how a CD/Mp3 sounds in comparison.
I have a dedicated car iPod and an iPhone, I just don't take the time to constantly update my collection. Most new music is crap, but I do find it tedious having to download things manually, avoiding the financial rape that goes along with iTunes.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

Internet radio!!! Get with the times
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”