Clean & Adjust your TB Pics Included Pt1 - Pix Fixed

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Clean & Adjust your TB Pics Included Pt1 - Pix Fixed

Post by Tunes67 »

Ok guys.. Here is a walkthrough on how to clean & adjust your TB. This walkthrough takes into account that you have removed the TB from your car and are working on it in a shop or on a work bench. You will need a couple of specific tools to do this job. A multimeter will be needed later when we are adjusting your TPS. A bore brush is required to clean properly and a feeler guage is required to adjust the TPS properly.

Bore Brush - Also commonly used for cleaning paint guns.

Feeler Gauge - You will need one like this.. not the one used for gapping spark plugs (though this one will work for that as well)

Ok lets start by removing the 4 screws on the bottom of the TB (circled in red). These screws have a history of being very tight so use the proper size screw driver and in the worst case scenario.. be prepared to use bolts as a replacement if the screws get stripped out. This will allow you to remove the Idle Bypass Circuit (also referred to as the IAC Circuit)

After you have the bottom off.. remove the seal from the bottom side of the TB. You will need to replace this seal most likely. The seal is compressed into the groove path on the bottom of the TB and could leak if not replaced.

Now is when the Bore Brush comes into play.. use the Bore Brush and either carb cleaner or brake cleaner to clean any and all gunk out of the bottom of the TB and the Idle Bypass Circuit. Now I have already cleaned the TB pictured here so this should give you an idea of how it should look when your done. Pay extra attention to getting the circled areas clean.. if you dont have (or couldnt find) a Bore Brush.. you can use a shop rag over the tip of a phillips screw driver.. be careful with this method though.. if you slip you could gouge your TB and that might not be such a good thing ;)

Once you have finished with the bottom of the TB lets move onto cleaning the bore of the TB and the Idle Air Adjustment Screw (aka the IAA screw).
Remove the IAA screw completely and clean it up.

While the screw is out.. spray carb cleaner into the hole and use the bore brush to clean it out as well as you can. If you let the screw soak in a solvent while you are cleaning the TB.. it will clean up easier before you reassemble everything.

Next.. clean the idle air circuit.. its this hole here circled in red and it runs all the way through the throttle body.. bypassing the butterfly valve.

After you have flushed this out well.. flip over the TB and clean the air passages on the back side. Making sure these areas circled in red get special attention.

Ok.. now use a shop rag and clean out the bore of the TB and the butterfly valve itself. Now do a good rinse with the carb cleaner or brake cleaner (I prefer brake cleaner.. it evaporates faster), and wipe off any left over residue with a clean shop rag. Now clean the IAA screw that you probably still have soaking in a solvent, dry it off and reassemble your TB. I am ending this here due to the # of pics and size of the post.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
davidmorgan744
antispam: No

Re: Clean & Adjust your TB Pics Included Pt1 - Pix Fixed

Post by davidmorgan744 »

This pictures are really nice and gives a complete information about the task. It gives clear idea to carry out the clearing and adjusting effectively without any trouble. It is simplest and easy method to carry out.
RedAutobotMX3
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by RedAutobotMX3 »

Very informative! good work
mazpr
antispam: No

Post by mazpr »

Not to hijack your thread, but I have read in MazdaMiata and in Clubprotege that the bore, and butterfly should be left alone, and not mess with it at all.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

You can clean the bore however you want as long as you don't remove any steel or aluminum.

We build a race car at the university, and our throttle bore is hand polished, far from perfect.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”