Bleeding the brakes

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
WhiteFinish

Bleeding the brakes

Post by WhiteFinish »

When bleeding the brakes, you don't need to have a clutch cilinder hooked up, right ?

I'm asking because it uses thesame master brake cilinder and I dont have an engine in my car now.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Bleeding the brakes

Post by MrMazda92 »

You will want it to be running when you bleed them, so far as I have ever known. You need to have a vacuum source, at least... Another car might work, if you are careful. :shrug:

Edit:
You really don't? I always did it while running... :shrug:
Last edited by MrMazda92 on July 30th, 2013, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Sleeper6
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Sleeper6 »

you should be safe to bleed them provided you dont let the back of the master run empty that goes into the clutch master, otherwise you might get air
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

Folks - you don't need the engine running or a vacuum source. You need someone in the car to press on the brakes when you open the bleed screw and lift when you close the bleed screw. Probably have done this 100 times.

Sequence:

1) Guy (or girl) on bleed screw opens the screw - says "down"
2) Guy (or girl) in car presses the brake slowly to the floor and states "down" when he/she hits the floor
3) Guy (or girl) on bleed screw closes the screw - says "up"
4) Guy (or girl) in car lifts foot slowly until brake is fully UN depressed - says "up"
5) etc. until no air is seen coming through the clear plastic tube that you connected to the bleed screw.

Start at the farthest corner from the master cylinder.

You did connect a clear plastic tube to the bleed screw right?

As far as fluid levels, every 5-6 pumps check the level and add as needed. Shouldn't have an issue with the clutch portion of the reservoir.
1993 GS SE - "slow" (Stock) - SOLD
1993 GS SE - "fast" (Curved neck KLZE, OBX headers, custom 2.5" exhaust, KL36 ECU, Exedy Probe GT clutch, KL36 LSD - the real one, Lantis Type R lefthand halfshaft - unfortunately worth mentioning)- SOLD

1993 GS SE - acquired 4/28/2013, SOLD February 28, 2015

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

ganue wrote:Folks - you don't need the engine running or a vacuum source. You need someone in the car to press on the brakes when you open the bleed screw and lift when you close the bleed screw. Probably have done this 100 times.

Sequence:

1) Guy (or girl) on bleed screw opens the screw - says "down"
2) Guy (or girl) in car presses the brake slowly to the floor and states "down" when he/she hits the floor
3) Guy (or girl) on bleed screw closes the screw - says "up"
4) Guy (or girl) in car lifts foot slowly until brake is fully UN depressed - says "up"
5) etc. until no air is seen coming through the clear plastic tube that you connected to the bleed screw.

Start at the farthest corner from the master cylinder.

You did connect a clear plastic tube to the bleed screw right?

As far as fluid levels, every 5-6 pumps check the level and add as needed. Shouldn't have an issue with the clutch portion of the reservoir.

This!!!!! ^^^

Who said you need the car running!? You DON'T want your car running.

There are a couple of other options. You can buy speed bleeders they are awesom, or at harbor freight they have a cheap and I mean cheap bleeder for under 20 bucks, I eventually got the job done but ended up having the girl help and did it old school for extra reassurance.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Ok, bleeding was clear.
Just wanted to know if the brakes will interfere with the clutch. (drawing in false air)

Worklog
Worklog click
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

WhiteFinish wrote:Ok, bleeding was clear.
Just wanted to know if the brakes will interfere with the clutch. (drawing in false air)

No they are separate, BUT if you do not have the clutch hooked up the fluid will leak out of the res.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

So you're saying; just hook up the clutch line and clutch slave and I'll be fine.

Worklog
Worklog click
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

WhiteFinish wrote:So you're saying; just hook up the clutch line and clutch slave and I'll be fine.
Yeah, you dont want the fluid to leak out all over. Bleed your brakes away at that point. you will have to bleed the clutch later on. no pressure goes to the clutch unless the pedal is pressed so you are good.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”