Brake Squeal

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
benyandthejets
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Brake Squeal

Post by benyandthejets »

So recently I had to get my both front axles replaced due to damaged cv joints and new brakes(and rotors) were also installed at the same time. Everything was fine for a while except now there is an occasional high pitched noise when I'm anywhere from 30+ mph... I'm fairly sure its the brakes because as I start pushing the pedal the noise goes away which makes me think some part of the brake is touching the rotor even when not braking.

My ebrake cable is definitely not too tight.. when they installed the brakes they loosened it up quite a bit form what I had it at before and I don't think it could get much looser. It doesn't seem to happen at lower speeds.

Any insight?
93 Blaze Red GS
wednesdayslatest
antispam: No

Re: Brake Squeal

Post by wednesdayslatest »

well my though is if they used NAPA brake pads and rotors that will happen i think you just need different pads and rotors

personally i get the mid grade rotors or the high grade rotors

and at least mid grade pads if not the high grade pads less brake rust and really quiet

also if they didnt bleed the brakes or if there is pressure in the lines still then that might cause it

it cant be anything else if it only happens when you hit the brakes.

maybe a bad caliper? if the caliper isint holding the fluid or if its bleeding out the caliper in any way you might want to change that too

as for the ebrake you can adjust that yourself

on the back sides there are two screws and the front there are two screws that hold in the plastic that covers the ebrake take you take it off and there is ony nut you tighten down i used my fingers the last time but itll get tight i got mine to do three clicks and stop but mine is getting looser cuz i need to replace my ebrake so if you tighten it and it seems to get looser on its own then the ebrake needs to get changed too

all i really know is the pads when they get to 25 percent there is metal in them to make them squeel so you know they need to be changed

cars are no joke you cant be cheap with them

also they got this brake quiet stuff you put on the back of the metal backings that go behind the pads that help it stick and stop the squeeling as well

really you should open it up and take a look at it if you didnt do it yourself. changing brakes and rotors are relatively easy so you should just do them yourself along with the oil changes make sure you put oil thickener every time like STP it will prolong the engine life also high mile oil as well (prestone with the sludge protection is the best)
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

wednesdayslatest wrote:well my though is if they used NAPA brake pads and rotors that will happen i think you just need different pads and rotors

and at least mid grade pads if not the high grade pads less brake rust and really quiet

also if they didnt bleed the brakes or if there is pressure in the lines still then that might cause it

maybe a bad caliper? if the caliper isint holding the fluid or if its bleeding out the caliper in any way you might want to change that too

on the back sides there are two screws and the front there are two screws that hold in the plastic that covers the ebrake take you take it off and there is ony nut you tighten down i used my fingers the last time but itll get tight i got mine to do three clicks and stop but mine is getting looser cuz i need to replace my ebrake so if you tighten it and it seems to get looser on its own then the ebrake needs to get changed too

all i really know is the pads when they get to 25 percent there is metal in them to make them squeel so you know they need to be changed

also they got this brake quiet stuff you put on the back of the metal backings that go behind the pads that help it stick and stop the squeeling as well

really you should open it up and take a look at it if you didnt do it yourself. changing brakes and rotors are relatively easy so you should just do them yourself along with the oil changes make sure you put oil thickener every time like STP it will prolong the engine life also high mile oil as well (prestone with the sludge protection is the best)
Another whack post by this,,,who the fu@k are you. Stop trying to help people, you have no idea how to communicate. You seem to understand what your saying but we sure as fu@k don't.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wednesdayslatest

Post by wednesdayslatest »

Daninski wrote:
wednesdayslatest wrote:well my though is if they used NAPA brake pads and rotors that will happen i think you just need different pads and rotors

Another whack post by this,,,who the fu@k are you. Stop trying to help people, you have no idea how to communicate. You seem to understand what your saying but we sure as fu@k don't.
then answer the post yourself i dont see you sayin jack to help
03 Dodge Neon (rental i had for a month but i ran that into the ground for sure)
95 Chrysler Concorde (Junked my first car [still ran])
90 Nissan Stanza (Junked [wouldnt start one day])
89 Saab 9000 CD (sedan/turbo very fun but electrical problems[city towed away for no plates on private property])
94 Toyota Camry (mothers old car fixed it then broke it[dont ask] Junked)
93 MX-3 RS (My project for 3 years so far)
97 Honda Civshit (Beater/Stereotypical POS Honda im fixing)
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

Check to see if there is a groove worn anywhere on the rotors, maybe a stone got stuck in there somewhere causing the noise, also check for dust shields interfering with rotors.
I agree with wednesdayslatest , generally the cheaper pads are organic as opposed to semi metallic or ceramic.
They work just fine, but produce more dust on your wheels and can be noisy.
I once bought new rotors and low grade pads and they made noise.
I then switched to the mid grade pads and no more noise with the same rotors. Noisy brakes suck... :)
benyandthejets
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by benyandthejets »

Thanks for all the input. It seems to be going away and I only hear it rarely now but I'm going to keep an eye on everything. Noisy brakes are embarrassing :(
93 Blaze Red GS
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

wednesdayslatest wrote: then answer the post yourself i dont see you sayin jack to help
Daninski is usually quite helpful, and I understand his frustration. Your posts are a difficult read. If English is your second language then disregard this. I cant complain about someone who reads and writes in more than one language when I only do one. However, if English is your first language, your grammar needs work. Your complete lack of punctuation makes you come across as some kid that thinks he's being cool by not wasting his time with the rules of writing. Instead you waste the time of the people trying to make sense of what you've written. Punctuation isn't just a bunch or rules the "man" made up to get you down. They are there to convey nuances of spoken language, beyond just the words, to written form. Without punctuation its like you just vomited words on to the screen. It's unpleasant to look at and there's better ways to tell someone what you had for dinner.

Beny+Jets: Your screen name always gets that damn song stuck in my head. As for the brakes, I'd tell you to take them apart and verify that the caliper pins are well lubricated and that the bolts are tightened to the correct torque specs, however since it sounds like you brought the car somewhere to have this stuff done recently. Just take it back. Tell them after their brake job your getting an annoying high pitch sound and you'd like them to fix it. If it wasn't recent enough where you can do that or they aren't willing to fix their bad brake job for free. Then do the things mentioned above. If the pins weren't properly lubed the caliper could be sticking. The other thing to consider is it may not be your brakes at all. If it only happens at around 30mph, and you hit your brakes, the sound may not be stopping because you hit the brakes. It's stopping because you dropped below 30mph.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”