16x8 Wheels installed?(225/50-16 rubber)

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: 16x8 Wheels installed?(225/50-16 rubber)

Post by MrMazda92 »

The math I used was with my own index, as I measured it(with my Probe GT front spindles/hubs, which sit out a few mm past where the MX-3 hubs formerly sat)

The only reason I mention the rotor hat thickness is the comparison between our stock hat and that of my current setup. I have no work tomorrow, so I'll be taking the time to fully measure it out properly on both sides to be 100% certain.

My measurements before were in fact from the hub, and not the rotor hat(this should change my numbers a bit, in favor of thinner spacers, actually!)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
stevesei

Post by stevesei »

We can move this to another thread, but I have to ask about your hub carrier project. Did you go through all the angst of thinning down the shock mount area on the carrier? I read another post on CP, I think, about a guy who has an entire early model MX-6 suspension, shocks and all, with MX-3 LCAs. AND a 2.2 FS engine. There are some guys out there thinking outside the box. A late model MX-6/626 FS hub carrier and shocks might just be a trick. Also, what did you do about axles?

I just did wheels and tires :D , so a change now would necessitate replacing everything :( , but I really like the idea of 5-lug wheels, and of course the selection is enormous. 4-lugs are way less common now.

I didn't however, see anything about why the 88-92 carriers. They've gotten pretty hard to find, sorta like MX-3s. Won't later model carriers work?

BTW, this is just a general rant, not directed at you at all; I've been using "carrier" instead of spindle. Our cars don't have conventional spindles; 72 Chevies do, though. The racing world calls what we have hub carriers, which is descriptive and correct. They're also sometimes called "uprights".
Steve Seiter
Blue '92 GS, Milly square-port DE with stainless headers, Stoker100 chip, HEI/Blaster conversion,
2.25" exhaust, High flow cat, ZX-2 shocks, short shifter, urethane front bushings, 17x7s with 595 Evos
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

No worries, I have the answers to most if not all of that! :wink:

I had a local machine shop machine down the strut stub(for lack of a better name).

As for the axles, those from the base model probe have the same spline count as the MX-3 GS, so you simply want the spindles/hubs from any generation Ford Probe or Mazda MX-6 with a naturally aspirated 2.2 FS engine. I'm not sure about the 626 though, as they are so uncommonly found around here, that I simply passed them by...
Stock axles work for the GS, although I have no idea if the spline count differs from RS to GS.

As for the front Spindles(or carriers, if you will), any generation should work... The rears are a different story, and that is where I am having troubles currently myself. The 2nd generation have a wider profile where the TTL bolt passes through, necessitating a modification of the rear TTL bushing(the wider one, which is a vital component of the passive AWS system).

I'm still undecided on whether or not I will modify that bushing, or source 1st gen rear spindles(carriers), as the set I grabbed off of an '89 PGT were in fact 2nd gen... Go figure, my luck would be that bad! :lol:
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”