Exhaust Backpressure Faq

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fritzfab

Post by fritzfab »

its true about gases heating up because i took the heat shield off my headers and now my car smokes and my engine bay is ungodly hot all the time with the fan running .... i just have stock 2 1/4 it looks like and no cat, but i got alot of pick up the way mine is set up i noticed a difference but i have a really raspy sound when the rpms hit over 3 grand any idea why?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

fowljesse wrote:It's also possible to have too much velocity. The [backpressure] pulse helps keep the new gas mixture in the chamber, since the valves are briefly open @ the same time. Someone built a system that created a slight vacuum, and he lost power because it sucked some of the new gas out before the compression stroke. A perfect system would give a slight backpressure pulse just for that split second. That's how and why Flowmaster mufflers were developed, and can (in the right position) have more HP than straight pipes.
I know its like a year and a half since this guy posted...but NO...WRONG!!!

More velocity is always better until the volumetric flow capacity of tHe pipe becomes limiting. The harmonics of the collector creates an effect called scavenging which is intended to create vacuum in the area just outside the exhaust seat area and pull the exhaust out of the combustion chamber. This in turn gives the incoming air/fuel charge greater momentum so that it will rush into the combustion area filling it more fully. It is accepted that because of valve overlap some air/fuel mixture will be taken out through the exhaust before the valves close. Hence the existance of the EGR system. The amount of air/fuel charge lost is controlled by limiting the valve overlap. The cam timing is designed largely to ensure that the exhaust valve closes just after some fresh charge has escaped, ensuring that all burnt exhaust gases from the previous cycle have been evacuated. The loss of a small amount of fresh charge is greatly outweighed by the adverse effect of leaving burned exhaust gases in the combustion chamber for the following cycle.

NO AMOUNT OF BACKPRESSURE IS EVER DESIRED...EVER.

I have a bit of an unreasonable reaction to this issue. I've been having this argument for years.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

You're right about how the system works. Appearantly pulse technology is beyond your research. I saw the aformentioned guy build an exhaust system that created too much vacuum, believing that "the less backpressure, the better", and it sucked too much of the new charge of air/ fuel out, and of course, with less fuel to burn, he lost power. What I said about Flowmaster was almost a quote from their advertisement, and at that point they were (and probably still are) the leaders in the industry due to superior research and developement. Maybe the pulse is not technically considered backpressure. If that's the case, I apologise for being misleading. I do know for sure that Flowmaster(s) installed at the right point in the system create more HP than straight pipes, with the exception of systems that don't go to a collector. For the sake of anyone trying to build an exhaust system that creates vacuum, I hope they research pulse technology. I only wrote to help those who are capable of going beyond common understanding of the exhaust system, and to prevent wasted time and money due to making the same mistake as my fellow drag racer.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
bbox
antispam: No

Re: Exhaust Backpressure Faq

Post by bbox »

I have found that with almost any vehicle, the stock size will work out fine. I also agree with the 1 inch per liter... to an extent. The size isnt what should count, its the flow. A smooth, full flowing exhaust of 2.5" will do alot better than a stock, restricted 2.5" exhaust. basically, run high a flow cat(s), a free flow muffler(s), and try to make the piping more of a straight direct flow.
If me and my goal are both "alive", then it IS possible. Anything can happen as long as there is will.
wytbishop

Re: Exhaust Backpressure Faq

Post by wytbishop »

yellowstonepart wrote:黄河石柴油机配件厂是一家领先的制造商之一
发动机零部件,特别是柴油燃油喷射系统
更换配件,如喷油嘴,柱塞和,
交付阀等在中国南部。

欲了解更多详情请访问我们的网站:www.yellowstonediesel.com
http://www.dieselinjection.cn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

黄河石柴油机配件厂始建于1997.Over多年来,
黄河石不断成长,并赢得了声誉生产
高品质的产品和提供他们的时间。
EPIC multicultural fail!
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”