Broken front wheel stud? Anybody?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
wagZE

Broken front wheel stud? Anybody?

Post by wagZE »

Got a flat, swapped on the spare & then tightening the lug nuts the stud actually snapped right off. Was a great day. So has anybody been in this situation on mx3? Suspension/ brakes I despise, butust act quickly as the RS @ my local yard is marked for death this week. Can I get parts off an rs to fix my GS?
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Broken front wheel stud? Anybody?

Post by SuperK »

Everything on the hub will be usable. 94-95 spindle used a larger ball joint, so make sure you use the RS ball joint as well. It's got a larger diameter end than the 93 GS.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
AaronTietje
antispam: No

Post by AaronTietje »

Do like SuperK said and then get your existing one rebuilt with new studs. :idea:
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

1) The stud should tap out of the hub with a mediocre hammer. It is splined at the hub.
2) Tap it loose and rotate the hub until it is in a position for the broken stud to fall out.
3) Go to NAPA.
4) Buy another for $1.39 or whatever.
5) Insert new stud into the backside of the hub
6) Be patient until the new splines grab the old hub.
7) Use the lug NUT to pull the new one back in.
8) DONE.
1993 GS SE - "slow" (Stock) - SOLD
1993 GS SE - "fast" (Curved neck KLZE, OBX headers, custom 2.5" exhaust, KL36 ECU, Exedy Probe GT clutch, KL36 LSD - the real one, Lantis Type R lefthand halfshaft - unfortunately worth mentioning)- SOLD

1993 GS SE - acquired 4/28/2013, SOLD February 28, 2015

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
crazycanadian

Post by crazycanadian »

I don't suggest grinding down the lug like Eric the car guy does.. I have done this as well in the past when I have been stuck.. Usually in that situation I go a head and replace the hub, or wheel bearing assembly... The odd occation I have taken a grinder to the spindle to create a bit of a notch... If I do that its very much in moderation..

Using a lug nut to tighten the stud back on, when you do, use lots of high pressure grease.. Wheel bearing or such.. This will save the threads.. If you don't lube it well you can end up ruining the threads...

I prefer not to use a lug nut though.. You are better of using an air hammer to get the stud to seat back in..
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

If for some reason you can't find a stud locally, I'll ship you one in an envelope. :)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

God. Pia is what this looks like. They're easy to hammer loose but Dont clear the spindle without destroying the threads. I Dont mind the grinder idea to a little area to save time. Time is very important. I absolutely hate doing brake/ suspension stuff. I haven't had to dink with my Millenia motor for almost a couple years. This car has been super dependable, been nice. The studs are in stock $8 locally @ Mazda, thx for the offer Blake. I just want to get this done without swapping all the stuff like super said. I'm going to try the grinder method. Let you guys know how it goes.
And no I'm not driving it with 3 lug nuts, been rock in the ford fusion lately, damn you ford 17 mpgs wtf.
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

You can get the stud cheaper at AutoZone or similar, should be in the $4-6 range, if they're closer than the stealership! :)
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”