SS braided brake lines, possible hoax.

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

SS braided brake lines, possible hoax.

Post by Ryan »

Working with FSAE, I've learned something interesting.

Cheap SS braided brake lines are just a normal rubber line with the SS braiding over top. The rubber hose carries all of the load, the SS just looks good. It isn't a performance upgrade at all, just a shiny gimmick.

I don't think there is a concrete way to tell without actually testing them yourself, but I'd imagine if the SS braiding is at all loose or allows about the same flex as the stock rubber, its just crap. In order to carry the load, the SS would have to be pre-tensioned(making the assembly stiffer). The strain of the rubber line would need to close the gap between rubber and braid, tighten the braid together, and then strain the steel. Not likely.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: SS braided brake lines, possible hoax.

Post by Daninski »

I've read the entire issue of SS braided brake lines is a waste of money. On the NASIOC forums there's a real good post on this. I'll see if I can find it again.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I replaced my front SS lines with rubber. I ha one fail about a month ago because it rubbed on the strut and wore through the cover and leaked.

I never noticed any performance improvement.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

There are two types of SS hose. One like you mention which IMO is more for looks but DOES to some extent help with the expanding of the OE rubber hose under consistent use If the quality is there and they are tensioned properly. the other actually has the SS braided throughout the rubber, integrated into the structure of the hose. This works extremely well. There is a HUGE difference in the MX3 when swapping over to SS lines. The pedal becomes firmer and more responsive. SS brake lines are defiantly one of those things you do not want to skimp on as you get what you pay for.

Perhaps I just paid really close attention as I went from F-disk and R-drum in the RS to 4Wdisk and upgraded master cylinder and then SS lines and quality pads and rotors. I did it in stages and I noticed a huge difference over the OE. I am not sure what brake lines are in my GS but they do not even feel close to the brakes in my RS. Even if there is not "performance" advantage, in 8 years driving the RS around and about 100K+ miles I never had a failed brake line. That is the one bonus I see by swapping over :shrug:
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Could be the lines I got were not as high quality as I thought. I switched back to OEM recently and I feel no difference.

:shrug:

On a side note, I deleted my ABS system entirely this week and that has made a big difference in the feel of the brake pedal. I also tried to upgrade my master cylinder to the 1" piston Millenia MC but found that not only is the piston larger the part that holds the piston in the MC is larger and I woul dhave had to further modify my booster to fit it...and I just didn't have the effort in me to remove the booster and enlarge the opening. Perhaps another day.

All in all though...my brakes are very good witht he 2 piston Subaru calipers. Next I will try to move to a larger rotor and better quality pad.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Perhaps that is what is wrong with the feel of the brakes in the GS it has ABS...

Good to know on the Millenia master I will be swapping both my cars over in thew next couple of months. The 929 uses a 1" master as well but it is a different design than the GS or Millenia master. It may be a direct swap for the RS booster. I have not been able to check that yet though.
DeadMaker
antispam: No

Post by DeadMaker »

Can someone post a brand name of ss brake lines which can be considered as a high quality built?
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Possibly look into SS teflon lines. Teflon won't pulse like rubber however you need to be careful how much you bend them as kinking the line renders them unservicable.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Good info here! I had wondered about stainless lines for a while now. When I do brakes, I'll be doing it all in one go.

Deleting ABS scares me, only because other people drive my car on occasion... My '93 doesn't have it, and I turned it sideways driving it home from California. That was a special feeling, to say the least. :lol: Now that I know it's a non ABS model, I'm a little gentler with the pedal. I just wish it had occurred to me to check prior to driving it home!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The stock ABS is not very good any way. The car stops much better without it.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
SBR

Post by SBR »

Key to SS lines is a teflon inner AND outer. The outer does matter. A problem with SS lines is that if dirt or sand gets between the braids, it essentially "sands down the braid, and can lead to a rupture. The teflon outer basically seals the braid from the elements. Goodridge lines don't have an outer.
Black 1993 Mazda MX-3 GS - daily driver
Kenwood BT-948HD, MB Quart FX4.100 and ONX1.1000D, Polk MM6501 x4, Polk MM1240
SE interior, MOMO Endurance shift boot, Tomei long shift knob, eBay short shifter

Red 1987 Toyota MR2 - go kart

"If it's crazy you want, it's crazy you get."
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Goodridge lines are some of the best you can get very high quality, and though they do not have an outer coating they are one of the few that are DOT certified. You can now order them with a coating over them. I have run CorkSport lines on 3 different vehicles and never had a problem, improvements were noticed in all 3.

There is no contest to durability and the performance of a good SS braided brake line to that of an OE rubber line... They would not be used so widely if they did not work.... They are a track tested part over decades of racing. SS braided hoses are used in a variety of industries and known to be some of the best and most durable of lines to withstand extreme pressures and extended durability. For what we use them for they are a superior product to that of OEM.

Here is a good FAQ to read by Stoptech. http://www.centricparts.com/files/Centr ... %20Q&A.pdf
davmac

Post by davmac »

I believe the main contributor to any benefit from SS brake lines is not the SS wrapping but the inner teflon hose. The inner teflon hose is more rigid than rubber. The SS braiding and then the clear coating over the top is mostly protection from debris that would damage the inner hose. Personal experience: New KVR brake pads, new / rebuilt calipers and rotors was a big improvement from the old stuff it replaced. Adding some Corksport SS lines after was icing - not dramatic but noticeable. Let's face it - sometimes it is about looks and bragging rights as much as improved performance. New OEM rubber hoses might have been near equal in brake performance, but would not have looked as nice as the SS lines.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

cool is the millenia master a GS upgrade or just and rs one.....
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The Millenia master has a 1" bore vs. our stock GS' 15/16". It would not necessarily be a good thing on stock brakes, but if you have larger calipers (like 2 piston calipers) it will reduce pedal travel.
My Worklog
My feedback thread

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”