Front ?bearing? grind RESOLVED

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
crazycanadian

Re: Front ?bearing? grind

Post by crazycanadian »

Elli wrote:It does, in fact, change noise levels when I turn left or right... but I know that there's only one driving wheel... so I didn't know if that made an impact.

Someone on probetalk suggested I drain the tranny fluid into a clean catch pan and check for shavings. I might do that tomorrow.

:cry:

EDIT:
If it helps anyone decipher the issue. The noise only comes on around 30 mph then gets progressively louder as speed increases... but I can run thru first gear as high as I want and the sound doesn't increase in volume.
If you have the wheels in the air, turning side to side wont do anything... the noise changing would be with both wheels on the ground driving the car...

It really sounds like you've done damage to your transmission and possibly have a wheel bearing noise...

As a mechanic though I can tell you that chasing noises when you have the car in your hands can be difficult enough... there is no way anyone here can give you better advice then what I have all ready stated about how the noises change and what its related to...

Draining your transmission fluid out and looking at it wont tell you if thats where your noise it coming from...
Elli
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Elli »

You're right, it's tough not having the answer apparent. Especially when I was so confident what it was in the first place. Tomorrow's Sunday and I can't get anyone to press out my bearing. If removing it is just a matter of putting 36mm on it and whacking it with a 3# sledge I can at least get the knuckle ready to press the next one in. I'm gonna replace the bearing anyway.

To respond to your post it changes sounds when I turn while driving the car... I still have to go to work. :shrug:
92 MX-3 ZE "The draggin' wagon"
Colt cams and bolt-ons
davmac

Post by davmac »

If your last comment means the car can't be unavailable for a day while you wait for a shop to press a new wheel bearing then you might consider buying a used steering knuckle (spindle). If you need a shop to press the bearing you'll be removing the whole spindle anyway. Your choice to have the new bearing installed in the used spindle or just install the used spindle and drive on it.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
Elli

Post by Elli »

I have the next two days off... I just say that because it started making the noise a week ago, and I am employed and wish to stay that way... so I just drive down the slow street. Work is only 4 miles away.
Colt cams and bolt-ons
Elli

Post by Elli »

It was, in fact, the front passenger bearing. That CV is a b---- to get out of the intermediate housing. Run smooth as glass now.... thank f'ing god it's over.
Colt cams and bolt-ons
kulluminati777

Re: Front ?bearing? grind RESOLVED

Post by kulluminati777 »

i enjoy being of assistance. Like i said i was just going though your same issue :mrgreen:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688
Elli

Post by Elli »

I appreciate the assistance.
Now I have p/s whine just as loud.
Colt cams and bolt-ons
kulluminati777

Post by kulluminati777 »

I always have a problem with the car. You fix one and 2 more seem to show up :crying: :crying:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”