Wheel Stud woes

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
DueceMcCracken
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Wheel Stud woes

Post by DueceMcCracken »

I decided to do a rear disc conversion on my 94 rs. I ripped out a whole subframe out of a junker. A 93 GS. I need extended wheel studs for my sparco racing rims. So i researched on here the best I could. I have been a long time lurker.

I have ARP 100-7708's installed successfully in the GS rear, but alas i tried to install them on the front and its a big no go. They used different studs from GS to RS, and possibly front to rear.

The ARP 100-7708 is for late model GM.
.509'' Knurl Wheel Studs (12.928mm)
12mm x 1.5
2.5" long

Which is a replacement for Dorman part 610-340.1
Knurl Dia. : 13.08mm
Length : 42mm
Shoulder Length : 12.5mm

They fit well. Which most of us already know.

The RS fronts though are a larger knurl.
Dorman part 610-285.1
Knurl Dia. : 14.94mm
Length : 41mm
Shoulder Length : 13.5mm

So after some research, and aggravation I took a plunge.

ARP 100-7720 Miata studs.
.579'' Knurl Wheel Studs (14.706mm)
1994-05 Mazda Miata
12mm x 1.5
2.75'' Long

Should fit fine but i will post conclusive results. A bit long, but open external splined tuner lugnuts should handle them just fine.

I just wanted to share a more detailed explanation of this.

Also you can bang out the front studs on the RS, and replace them while on the car. There is one location that has enough clearance opposite of the caliper. I had to bang the heatshield a bit but it works.
DueceMcCracken
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Wheel Stud woes

Post by DueceMcCracken »

So the Miata studs have a starter nipple, but the threaded area is the same length as the GM studs. So i hacked off the nipples with a dremel, and got some nice MCGard lugnuts. Whacked the factory ones out and impacted in the miata studs. Worked great. Both front RS and rear GS wheel studs can be removed and installed while on the car. you just have to bang the disc heat shield out of the way, then bend it back when you are done.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”