Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 10 2019, 11:44 PM

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Aftermarket Underdrive Pully, will it Destroy Your Engine 

Post Re: Aftermarket Underdrive Pully, will it Destroy Your Engin
HEHE throws in a monkey wrench* What if the UDP is balanced and has a replacement pulley for the alt?

May 27 2014, 5:43 PM
Supporting Member

tyrist3050 wrote:
HEHE throws in a monkey wrench* What if the UDP is balanced and has a replacement pulley for the alt?

you get punched in the face for this being your first post.

She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

May 27 2014, 7:18 PM
Supporting Member

you can't really balance a UDP. They should be zero balanced anyways.

the biggest issue is UDPs are constructed without using a rubber damper, not that they are unbalanced.

She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

May 27 2014, 7:23 PM
Supporting Member

MrMazda92 wrote:
It's nice to see some opinions put out there on a controversial topic, I don't think I've seen this discussion on this board before.

There are TONS of posts on PT both for and against UDPs, yet I've seen zero proof that the benefits or risks even exist... It sounds simple enough to reduce the size of the pulley and "free up" horsepower, but it's never that simple with cars. You aren't shifting to a lower gear on a bicycle... These things run a fair bit more torque(understatement). That being said, at the VERY LEAST, don't throw a $15 ebay UDP on your engine... If it's been engineered, as opposed to CNC'd and mass produced in China... you're at least decreasing your chances of a problem. That goes for anything you buy, in person, or online.

I'll probably never go this route, when I see so many more viable ways to gain or free up power... If I ever do, it'll be after finding concrete evidence(with supporting data of course) that shows it's not only safe, but worth the cost.)

Woah, it's been a long time since I wrote this!

As a brief update to an ancient post, I did in fact purchase an Unorthodox UDP.
The pulley sits in my parts pile - Having been replaced with a 36-1 trigger wheel, I am hanging onto it as a "maybe someday" type item. I have found no further proof supporting or contradicting the benefits of the pulleys. If I had a 36-1 wheel for it, I would consider using it with my current build.

'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL, 67mm TB, MegaSquirt, Coilpacks, 5 lugs, Speed6 brakes, FD wheels, wiretuck, progressive coilovers, shorty headers w/ custom collector, AEM WB, 2.5" straight, Borla XS
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

July 02 2014, 3:59 AM
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2