Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 05 2020, 3:20 PM

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 iPod Touch in Center Console 
Supporting Member

Post iPod Touch in Center Console
Well as like most of you, when I smoke in my car (cigs or other substances) I usually just ash on the floor or passenger seat. So Why do you need the ash tray???
Just Kidding, I do not smoke. But I have found a nice use for my ash tray... an iPod Touch holder! Thats right!
So I just got an 8g iPod touch and I love it, it is really neat with its wifi and safari browsing, not to mention its great use as an mp3 player. It is the first thing from apple which I actually like. It also has a position sensor to know which way you are holding it: vertical or horizontal. While you dont have every option in this orientation, you do get the cool album artwork scroll screen where you can easily choose an album and click to see all the songs. Well in the horizontal position, it fits right in the ash tray (open).
The top lid stabilizes it and the "push" button keeps it anchored pretty well. With some fiddling, you can get it to tightly fit in so that it will not slide or move if you happen to make a hard turn.
I have a pioneer 7500mp head unit and I got the iPod cable so I can play/charge it. I ran it behind my center console so it sneaks up into my ash tray compartment and sits right there.
It also has google maps on the home page so while it isn't connected to internet all the time like iPhone, I can upload the directions and have it sit there and play music and refer to the directions when I need to. If I need to update the directions, I can just try and steal some unsecured wifi in a residential area or gas station (worked once!).

For Sale Thread

April 02 2008, 8:43 PM

Post Re: iPod Touch in Center Console
That's a pretty awsome finding. I was tempted to buy an Ipod, but then i realized it probably won't be the same for the 94+.

Anyway, its sweetness that you noticed that!

'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Collects dust
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Collects dust
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!

April 02 2008, 9:10 PM
Profile ICQ YIM

great idea

October 12 2009, 9:32 PM

I gotta try that :)

March 01 2011, 12:51 AM
Supporting Member

Revived =p I remember this thread too, I actually tried this. I cut a small hole in my center console(under armrest) for my iPod cord though, and I use an old Mini with a bad battery now ;D

'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL, 67mm TB, MegaSquirt, Coilpacks, 5 lugs, Speed6 brakes, FD wheels, wiretuck, progressive coilovers, shorty headers w/ custom collector, AEM WB, 2.5" straight, Borla XS
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

March 14 2011, 4:10 PM

Wow I saw this thread last month, but didn't realize all but 1 (now 2) comment(s) are super old. Revived for sure...

Ride:
1992 Midnight Purple MX-3
Worklog:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75646

Feedback
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=76781

March 14 2011, 11:32 PM
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]