Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 14 2019, 7:39 PM

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Shock Alarm anybody? 

Post Re: Shock Alarm anybody?
yeah, I loved the mx3 when I first saw one (and knew what it was) in yr 6 at school... so i was like 10 or something? Anyway, I started my own car detailing business then and every weekend and school holidays from then until i finished school was taken up detailing cars to save up - I'd seen them advertised at $7000 at the time, so I figured that they'd be down to about $5k by the time I got my licence... I had about $3.5k saved up in year 10, but then went to japan, which took me back to $-100... and then I got a scooter the next year, which hampered my saving, and I went to Sydney (the other side of Australia from me), so only had $1800 by the time i went to buy my first car. So i ended up getting a '97 323, about 2 yrs after I went to Japan (I couldnt afford a Mx-3). I really wanted an mx-3, but it was gonna be waaaaaaaaayyyyy out of reach - I could only choose between a Daewoo Lanos, Daihatsu Charade, Hyundai Excel (all of which I can't stand), or like a late '80s Corolla/323/Laser, etc... until I found a battered '97 323 Astina Hardtop!! :D
Anyway, I needed a more presentable car for the work meetings i rocked up to at work, which was a great excuse for me to use all I had saved in my gap year at the time to get an MX-3!!
...And thats my life story hahahahaha

December 02 2010, 4:46 AM
Supporting Member

Nice!! You saw what you wanted, worked your a-- off, saved, screwed up, saved more, and finally met your goal! It felt all that much better when you did it though, didn't it? Waiting sucks, until you get what you've been waiting for... Anticipation is a killer.

'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL, 67mm TB, MegaSquirt, Coilpacks, 5 lugs, Speed6 brakes, FD wheels, wiretuck, progressive coilovers, shorty headers w/ custom collector, AEM WB, 2.5" straight, Borla XS
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

December 02 2010, 10:11 PM

haha yeah, well I'd also kinda planned on going to Japan all along... just not the other stuff... but it was defs worth it. I plan on doin the same thing when it comes time to get my next car (in about 6-7 yrs from now, i think)... I'll decide on a car and save for that specific car. It's always more satifying when you get it outright... plus, you know you can afford it that way, too...

December 16 2010, 5:01 AM
Supporting Member

I've been blessed with the ability to travel all over the U.S. for nearly no cost, but I've only been outside the states once, and I just went to Tijuana for a day. ;( It was cool, but not quite the same thing as going overseas. Granted, I hate flying...

You're dead right about being able to afford it! I *could* have my engine in my car in 1 month, exactly as I want her... However, I'd be homeless and hungry if I did that! :P I've spotted a few deals though, and am patiently getting everything together. :) Next will be paint, and some custom exterior ideas :welder:

'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL, 67mm TB, MegaSquirt, Coilpacks, 5 lugs, Speed6 brakes, FD wheels, wiretuck, progressive coilovers, shorty headers w/ custom collector, AEM WB, 2.5" straight, Borla XS

December 17 2010, 5:58 AM

haha yeah, well technically i could 'afford' to buy another car just like my one i have now, minus the $1200 wheels, but because i'm gonna be a full time student again next year, i need to keep a backup amount, coz you never know what life's gonna dish out to you, especially when you're broke!!!

December 19 2010, 10:02 PM
Supporting Member

That's smart.

My girlfriend and I will have all of our credit cards paid off this season, and we treat ourselves every time we pay them off ;D That means engine build time... :P

December 19 2010, 11:22 PM
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3