Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 11 2019, 3:31 PM

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 new member near stl mo 

Post new member near stl mo
I have recently purchased a 92 mx3 rs. It's clean and has almost no rust. It is the v6 and a 5spd and it runs pretty good. Right now I am in the process of replacing all the struts. It has 17" rims on it currently that I am looking to replace with the stock 15" if I can ever find any. I replaced the spark plugs but it still needs a something else, it seems to have some hesitation (especially when cold) in the lower rpms, but when you get above 2500 rpms it flies on down the road. I will replace the fuel filter, cap, rotor, plug wires and possibly the timing belt. I also plan on dong the seafoam thing (again). It has an oil leak around the oil filter sandwich thing and maybe a slow leak around the oil pan but the rest of the engine is clean. I also want to try and do a little cheap soundproofing with all the extra carpet, roofing underlayment and other stuff I have around the house and I want to replace 5th gear with a lower rpm one for highway cruising.
My goal is to drive it conservatively and get 30+ mpg while being able to pass people on the highway. When I first got it I gave it the old Italian tune up for the first couple of tanks full of gas and it still got 25mpg.
I owned a 4cyl a few years back and loved that car. It has body damage but I was able to go to the junkyard and all the parts I needed in the same color to match that car. After the 4cyl I always wanted to try the v6. It's a mild mannered engine until you really hammer it.
http://s1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/dang10010/mx3/

January 24 2012, 7:04 PM

Post Re: new member near stl mo
If thats the new car in the link, it looks good with those rims. I wouldn't change them out unless they ride bad or are super heavy.

Also, just being nitpicky, you said it was a v6 rs.... no such factory thing :wink:

Oil cooler leak is VERY common. Get an OEM O ring. Also get a new oil pressure switch while you're there. They have been known to pop out with age, killing the motor. Cheap part too. Just do it, and use a thread sealant for good measure (although it is a pipe thread and doesn't need it)

Look around in the v6 FAQ for the full tune up procedure. Check your intake for leaks, that can cause the hesitation you're talking about.

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

January 24 2012, 7:41 PM

dang10010 wrote:
My goal is to drive it conservatively and get 30+ mpg while being able to pass people on the highway.

I drove my ZE like a banshee and she never got less than 30mpg! If you give her some TLC, she'll treat you well.

2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

January 24 2012, 11:21 PM
Profile ICQ WWW

Welcome to the Forum! As far as those rims go, they look great, if you do decide to pick up some stock 15's you should consider painting them black. The black rims look very nice with the paint. Great car you've got there!

This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.

January 25 2012, 5:50 AM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]