Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 12 2019, 9:43 AM

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 What Engine Could Replace the KLZE? 

Post Re: What Engine Could Replace the KLZE?
fowljesse wrote:
Here's a sort of related idea, without starting a new thread; It seems to me that the transmission will hold up to 500HP, if you don't hammer on it. I don't drag race much, if at all. It's kind of fun, but I prefer autocross. Of course AutoX isn't easy on the tranny, either, but I think it would hold up. I would use the power smoothly, while in gear. I think it's the shock of inertia that causes problems. The only tranny I ruined was when I was 15, and would neutral drop an auto Tempo, to do burn-outs :shock: :roll: :lol: Most of my acceleration is in 2nd, and 3rd gear, without much, if any flat shifting. I don't know if it can be proven, since most guys that want that kind of power use it in ways that are bad for the tranny.

Most guys Blow the diffs up due to 1 wheel peel burn outs... Or hard launches.. This busts the diff pin sending it shooting out of the case...

After that you run into problems with counter shaft/main shaft flexing... This strips the teeth off 3rd/4th gear... With high hp, this is how the transmission is likely to fail and you wont need to be abusing it...

January 11 2013, 10:24 PM

to me, a scion FRS (Subaru BRZ) would replace a klze. But i would still have my mx3 somewhere in my life haha.

2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142

January 12 2013, 2:21 AM

I would love to have someone, anyone, attempt one of these swaps. Not that I would wish that the person doesn't complete it, I do hope they do, but I just want it put into perspective on what kind of job, how long it took it is and how much they spent doing this. People won't grasp it until someone actually does it.

If I have a car with high HP and I have to drive it like i'm walking on egg shells, than there's no point. I pounded on my Mx-3 like it was an expensive hooker and she took it like a champ.

I sat in an FRS and it did feel like I was in an Mx-3 interior and space wise. With many years of lacking good fun cars (and sadly the Rx8 just left as they were coming back into style) and everyone going "fun" 4-door, but with the FRS/BRZ coming into the game, word of a new MR2, Honda announcing the development of a new open-top sports car, Nissan looking and relaunching a 240 and there's always word on a rotary successor in the next few years, so we'll see what's new an exciting in lightweight RWD cars this decade

2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

January 12 2013, 10:59 AM
Profile ICQ WWW
Supporting Member

I hope it's done as well, because I think it would be a very unique accomplishment, and the community could benefit from it greatly.

Not just the idea that we could have a better drivetrain platform, but that so many people are scared to think outside of the box... I don't have a problem with others giving reality checks, but the constant "If it could be done, it would have been done already" mentality is just STUPID.

Sheep like that said KLs would never bolt into MX-3s, and look at the sheep now. They aren't running K8 MX-3s. :roll: Look how easy that swap was? Nobody expects a Duratec, or any other engine/transmission combo for that matter to just drop in like a factory fit... NOBODY. The thought that it might be feasible, given a little research, and a lot of trial and error, is very much realistic.

A few of us have done some very unconventional things to our cars, to great effect!!! I haven't seen any colossal failures in my time on the forums, although a few are mentioned on occasion(RWD 13B MX-3, functional but ugly), I believe there was a rear engine rear drive drag car as well? :shrug:

It's sad that people did a hack job on those projects, yet still took it farther than far more capable mechanics and engineers, terribly sad... Maybe their work would have been cleaner, or less problematic, if people had supported the project instead of saying "It'll never happen, just give up, it's not bolt-on, so it's impossible."... Hell, I've had to ask a TON of questions, here as well as on other forums, and there were points where I just wanted to give up until somebody helped me out.

I'm glad that I received help when I asked for it, because I'm proud of what I have learned today, and of how far my own projects have come. I hope to give back to this community, as much as I have received... That's why I stick it out, and try to gather information into one place. I don't do it for an excuse to argue, it's not like I even need the internet to do that, I do it because I want this community to move forward as a whole, and actually survive.

What happens in 20 years, when KL engines are impossible to find? What about suspension components? Balljoints, tie-rod ends, axles... Do we just junk our cars and buy something new? At that point, unconventional projects will be deemed worth looking into, and it will be too late. :(

'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL, 67mm TB, MegaSquirt, Coilpacks, 5 lugs, Speed6 brakes, FD wheels, wiretuck, progressive coilovers, shorty headers w/ custom collector, AEM WB, 2.5" straight, Borla XS
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

January 12 2013, 3:23 PM

Josh wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote:
and look how long it took Cody (Tehbrookzorz) to make his own adatper to fix an Rx7 trans on a KL for his RWD Celica project.

Should have looked on RX7 club, you can do it without an adapter, and using stock Mazda parts Frankensteined together. TurboII trans with a B2200 Bell housing and center shaft will get it to directly bolt up :).

Wait, what? I will check that out. My adapter plate was made to fit the W58, which is the stock transmission in the Celica. If I can easily put in something more robust, I will consider it. The key would be getting from a mismatch transmission to the rear diff, which might require a custom drive shaft, which I don't know enough about.
The pros of the project(s), for me, have been improving my knowledge. Too bad it doesn't come with certifications I can put on paper for future employers.

I just did a full KL swap on a GS I bought for my girlfriend. I rented a garage for the job. Gawd, I need a garage!

July 07 2013, 5:21 AM
Supporting Member

:) having a garage is nice.

You would just have to find the proper gear ratio probably like a 4:10 or something.

05' MS RX-8 - Parted out and Sold :'(
Feedback - http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=49519
Cardomain Page - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/408020
Face Book page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mazda-MX-3-Owners-Enthusiast/137983472959216

August 01 2013, 7:59 PM
Profile WWW

Interesting thread. Maybe we should setup a fund for someone to attempt this swap?

Here is something to think about, has anyone thought of buying a 93 Miata solely for its chasis and drivetrain and fitting the MX3 body onto it? Kind of like what people do with hot rods?
A V6 swap afterwards?

I remember there being a Honda Civic that was fitted on a 95 Mustang chassis and another project using a Corvette chassis.

July 23 2015, 7:19 PM

Dan[Sac] kinda did that for his RWD Probe project. He documented it very well

2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

July 27 2015, 8:43 AM
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5