Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 20 2019, 5:45 PM



Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mazda's radical new rotary tech + Reason behind Rx8's demise 
Author Message
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 25 2002, 2:01 AM
Posts: 11212
Location: CFB Val-Cartier, Quebec, Canada
Reply with quote
Post Mazda's radical new rotary tech + Reason behind Rx8's demise
Quote:
Mazda’s next rotary engine will have a “special kind of ignition system” that will not make use of traditional spark plugs, according to a senior engineer with the manufacturer. It is believed the alternative could involve using laser beams to ignite the fuel/air mixture inside the engine.

Mazda, which has refused to give up on development of the rotary engine, started work on the next-generation 16X Renesis unit in 2007, 40 years after it first introduced its innovative new power source to the industry.


http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArtic ... -8/248910/

Quote:
The 16X’s capacity has been raised from 1304cc to 1600cc, and it is also physically smaller and partly built from aluminium. The changes are designed to improve two of the biggest issues with rotary engine performance: fuel economy and torque delivery.

However, increasingly stringent emissions regulations are hampering future progress. The Mazda RX-8 was withdrawn from Europe because its rotary engine could not meet Euro 5 emissions regulations, and future upgrades of the existing engine may not meet Euro 6 laws.

The Mazda source said the new engine “needed a smaller hole on the wall [of the combustion chamber]” as a result of eliminating the space-hungry normal spark plug. He also admitted to Autocar that the use of laser ignition “was absolutely possible”.


http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArtic ... rs/257612/

Quote:
Recent advances in Japan have created high-power lasers made from ceramics that measure just 9mm in diameter and 11mm in length, easily small enough to fit into a car engine.

Using lasers to ignite the fuel/air mix would allow an engine to run leaner. It would also make it possible to much more closely control the timing and the point of ignition, reducing emissions and improving economy.

_________________
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project


June 28 2011, 7:49 PM
Profile ICQ WWW
Supporting Member
User avatar

Joined: April 18 2002, 2:01 AM
Posts: 3432
Location: Washington state
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mazda's radical new rotary tech + Reason behind Rx8's de
What sux, is my car is at 128K and compression is to low to start when warm... dam thing. A rebuild kit is 1500 and that wont fix the low comp unless you replace the rotor housings, well that's like another $800.00 x 2. a Mazda reman i can get at cost for 2200 but the rotor housings were not replaced so its a guessing game to find a good one. Its a shame that the 16X wont come out until 2014 cause i want a good replacement now, a 16X would be sweet to say the least. Laser ignition system.. no more 24 dollar plugs, but will probably be insane to replace a faulty laser. its been said that the motor is done tested and ready to go. They are just waiting on the release of the next generation rotary vehicle the SHINARI. regardless great stuff to come ahead in the rotary world.

Pineapple does a killer rebuild for 5K, probably where I am headed :(

Nd4SpdSe: Thanks for posting. whats your name on RX8 club?

_________________
Josh
95' AWD MX-3 RST - (work log - http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73765 )
94' GS - KLZE DD (work log - http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?uid=2713&f=46&t=79063&start=0 )
05' MS RX-8 - Parted out and Sold :'(
Feedback - http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=49519
Cardomain Page - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/408020
Face Book page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mazda-MX-3-Owners-Enthusiast/137983472959216


June 29 2011, 3:44 PM
Profile WWW
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 25 2002, 2:01 AM
Posts: 11212
Location: CFB Val-Cartier, Quebec, Canada
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mazda's radical new rotary tech + Reason behind Rx8's de
Shitty :(

I didn't know that the spark plus hole was an issue to the design of the motor. That was new info for me.

Josh wrote:
Nd4SpdSe: Thanks for posting. whats your name on RX8 club?


Guess ;)

_________________
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project


June 29 2011, 4:49 PM
Profile ICQ WWW
Supporting Member
User avatar

Joined: March 04 2001, 3:01 AM
Posts: 1078
Location: Allentown, PA
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mazda's radical new rotary tech + Reason behind Rx8's de
I am excited for new rotary technology...The Rx-8's have grown on me, handling is great, but the renesis not so much. One of my favorite Rx-8's we did at the shop was to swap a single turbo FD motor in (~400whp).
Josh--Agree with you totally, parts cost for new from mazda are killer

_________________
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Image


July 01 2011, 9:47 PM
Profile WWW
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 25 2002, 2:01 AM
Posts: 11212
Location: CFB Val-Cartier, Quebec, Canada
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mazda's radical new rotary tech + Reason behind Rx8's de
I think what made the old 13b inefficient is what give it it's potential, and with the rotary, it might just get worse as they squeeze out more power out of it to improve fuel efficiency and emission standards.

13B swap has been around for awhile, with a few 20B's and there's even the BMI 4-rotor drift Rx-8

_________________
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project


July 01 2011, 11:12 PM
Profile ICQ WWW
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 25 2002, 2:01 AM
Posts: 11212
Location: CFB Val-Cartier, Quebec, Canada
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mazda's radical new rotary tech + Reason behind Rx8's de
I think what made the old 13b inefficient is what give it it's potential, and with the rotary, it might just get worse as they squeeze out more power out of it to improve fuel efficiency and emission standards.

13B swap has been around for awhile, with a few 20B's and there's even the BMI 4-rotor drift Rx-8

_________________
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project


July 01 2011, 11:12 PM
Profile ICQ WWW
Supporting Member
User avatar

Joined: March 04 2001, 3:01 AM
Posts: 1078
Location: Allentown, PA
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mazda's radical new rotary tech + Reason behind Rx8's de
Yeah, I can see your point...I know all about the different swaps ( I build rotary engines) I'm just glad Mazda is sticking with & further developing the rotary / technology. :mrgreen:

_________________
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Image


July 01 2011, 11:24 PM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member
User avatar

Joined: April 18 2002, 2:01 AM
Posts: 3432
Location: Washington state
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mazda's radical new rotary tech + Reason behind Rx8's de
yah, a lot and a lot of searching, and i have thought about the 20b and even a 4 rotor, i dont feel like spending 8 to 15K on a motor that I would still have to build myself. so I have decided to go with a Frankenstein motor derived mostly from 13B-TT and some renny parts, to run it off of the 8's ECU and wiring. its going to be a challenge but seems pretty straight forward.

some guys are running 20B's with running 2 ecu's one for the 8 the other for the 20B, and i just dont want to deal with all that. whats so freaking dumb is how much Mazda is charging for the seals and brushes. you can rebuild an old 13B for a third the price of a renny.

I have officially blown my motor now so ts going to sit until i decide what to do with it. good think i only have to walk 5 blocks to work now and not commuting 30+ miles a day one way.

_________________
Josh
95' AWD MX-3 RST - (work log - http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73765 )
94' GS - KLZE DD (work log - http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?uid=2713&f=46&t=79063&start=0 )
05' MS RX-8 - Parted out and Sold :'(
Feedback - http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=49519
Cardomain Page - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/408020
Face Book page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mazda-MX-3-Owners-Enthusiast/137983472959216


July 08 2011, 10:01 PM
Profile WWW
Regular Member
User avatar

Joined: July 05 2005, 6:19 PM
Posts: 574
Location: Maple Ridge BC
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mazda's radical new rotary tech + Reason behind Rx8's de
josh there is a shop in abbotsford B.C. just above you called forcefed performance they do a lot of 20b swaps and stuff like that i go there for all my major stuff for my fd and they are very happy to give advice they have a 1000 hp 20b in their shop right now. the owner is marko hes a good guy. he might be able to give you some other ideas on what to do.

_________________
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com


October 18 2011, 5:42 AM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member
User avatar

Joined: April 18 2002, 2:01 AM
Posts: 3432
Location: Washington state
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mazda's radical new rotary tech + Reason behind Rx8's de
Thanks BornSticky. I think i have decided to leave my 8 behind, doing a full part out to maximize my profits. then I plan on buying a KL swapped MX :) every enthusiast needs 2. Besides I have to many projects and Mazda will be bringing out their new RX model in two years and I will probably want that if I dont go with the 2014 Miata :)

I will miss my 8 a lot it is pretty pimp to roll up in but I have a 55 ford I could finish for that too.

_________________
Josh
95' AWD MX-3 RST - (work log - http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73765 )
94' GS - KLZE DD (work log - http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?uid=2713&f=46&t=79063&start=0 )
05' MS RX-8 - Parted out and Sold :'(
Feedback - http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=49519
Cardomain Page - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/408020
Face Book page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mazda-MX-3-Owners-Enthusiast/137983472959216


October 25 2011, 7:37 PM
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: August 10 2005, 10:08 PM
Posts: 6128
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mazda's radical new rotary tech + Reason behind Rx8's de
Josh wrote:
I think i have decided to leave my 8 behind, doing a full part out to maximize my profits.


good decision, this is great news! 8)

_________________
My Feedback
92 mx-3 gs klze 'race car' IP 15.05 @ 92.5mph
92 mx-3 gs klze 'daily driver' IP 14.55 @ 95.7mph
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Mooneggs
Image


October 25 2011, 10:19 PM
Profile WWW
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: May 25 2002, 2:01 AM
Posts: 11212
Location: CFB Val-Cartier, Quebec, Canada
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mazda's radical new rotary tech + Reason behind Rx8's de
I don't see how selling his 8 is great news?

_________________
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project


October 25 2011, 11:31 PM
Profile ICQ WWW
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: January 15 2009, 9:00 PM
Posts: 2663
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mazda's radical new rotary tech + Reason behind Rx8's de
I think he was referring to the partout decision. Either way those rotaries are a big headache and I don't blame people for changing their minds about it.

_________________
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]


October 27 2011, 5:03 AM
Profile
Forum Moderator
User avatar

Joined: August 10 2005, 10:08 PM
Posts: 6128
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mazda's radical new rotary tech + Reason behind Rx8's de
Nd4SpdSe wrote:
I don't see how selling his 8 is great news?


well with so many of the long time owners abandoning their mx-3 dreams/projects over the past couple years it's nice to see someone keeping theirs for a change :shrug: This is an mx-3 forum afterall... :roll:

_________________
My Feedback
92 mx-3 gs klze 'race car' IP 15.05 @ 92.5mph
92 mx-3 gs klze 'daily driver' IP 14.55 @ 95.7mph
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Mooneggs
Image


October 27 2011, 11:48 AM
Profile WWW
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: January 15 2009, 9:00 PM
Posts: 2663
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply with quote
Post Re: Mazda's radical new rotary tech + Reason behind Rx8's de
Mooneggs wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote:
I don't see how selling his 8 is great news?


well with so many of the long time owners abandoning their mx-3 dreams/projects over the past couple years it's nice to see someone keeping theirs for a change :shrug: This is an mx-3 forum afterall... :roll:

+1 very good point...

_________________
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]


October 27 2011, 2:18 PM
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.