Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 10 2020, 6:52 AM

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Megasquirt Noob Help, Please ;) 

Post Megasquirt Noob Help, Please ;)
I bought a MS from probetalks BB, it's the v3 blue board for coilpack setup. I've started wiring in the harness yesterday. Working is:
Coolant temp
IAT
TPS
o2/Wideband
MAP

What's not working at all is the RPM. Can anyone answer these questions? I waiting for answers on PT but it's pretty sluggish, I think they're prejudice against mx3s!

Connect the MS white/grey to Violet/Green on the 6 plug dizzy wire?
Connect the MS black/grey to Yellow/Blue on the 3 plug dizzy wire?
Or should anything be going to the crank pulley sensor? If so do I need to grind a tooth?

Basically I'm confused as to which sensor I use- 180deg hall on the dizzy, 6vane in the dizzy, crank pulley sensor?

March 08 2009, 10:40 AM
Profile WWW

Post Re: Megasquirt Noob Help, Please ;)
dont quote me on this but ive ben reading alot on ms and the ones pt offers tend to run on disty.
For tach that is

and i think ur right with the yellow blue wire it send tha tach signal.

might want to consider the 1k resistor on the safe side as well

March 09 2009, 2:15 AM

Hmm yea, thing is I think mine is set up to run dual trigger, 180 hall and the vr sensor at the crank. But I've tried that combo and still no luck. Think I'm just going to have to wait for Jordan/Shaodome to turn up on my PT post.

March 09 2009, 10:55 AM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

I connected mine at the CPU. If it would help, I can go look at what wire it is there.

'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

March 11 2009, 6:11 PM
Profile WWW

Thanks man but it turns out mine is dual trigger, it detects the rpm at the crank, and uses the 180 hall to reset the "wheel" meaning I don't have to grind a tooth off to run coilpacks. However MS keeps resetting, the only way I can get it semi stable was by tapping a wire at the dizzy plug running it out the side of the engine bay and in through the passenger door to the MS. When I use the factory harness I get virtually nothing. Shaodome/Jordan reckons it might be really bad ground issues. So far I've tried a different dizzy, some old HT leads (worse than my current- think I'll get new ones). I already have a wire direct from neg terminal to MS and have a grounding kit too, why why why :(

I have wondered if my car has electrical issues as my rear defroster directly affects my idle. When I turn it on revs drop to where I want (7-800) when it's off the car idles at 1000+ :? Also my bulbs in the defroster have blown and all the connections in the harness for the switch go to ground, bit odd?

March 11 2009, 7:48 PM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

I'm an electronics NewB, so I ground the crap out of everything. I've got a "Daisy Chain" system all around the engine (probably 15 feet of ground wires, including the little ones), and when I grounded the MS to the inside of the firewall, I ran an extra ground wire to the daisy chain. The car is so well grounded, I'm sure if lightning struck, I'd be toast! I wonder if it would be good to run a thing like the bumper cars' strap that keeps them in contact with their power? I could drag it under the car connected to the wheel knuckle, so it keeps the same amount of pressure on the ground.
The defroster affects idle on all MX-3s, as far as I know.
Good luck with it all :)

'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

March 13 2009, 1:05 AM
Profile WWW

Once you tapped into the NE1 signal in the disty did that make a difference with the ms or did you have to do other things???
The reason i ask is because im stuck in the same situation and I was wondering if that solved your problem???

February 01 2010, 7:23 PM

My problem was that the part of the processor that deals with the signal was fried. A new processor fixed it! I don't think that is very common though. Don't suppose you can get your hands on an oscilloscope? I found it handy to see how far the signal got.

February 01 2010, 8:31 PM
Profile WWW

blackknight wrote:
Once you tapped into the NE1 signal in the disty did that make a difference with the ms or did you have to do other things???
The reason i ask is because im stuck in the same situation and I was wondering if that solved your problem???

I take it you tapped a line directly from NE1 and still no go?

2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

February 01 2010, 10:53 PM
Profile ICQ WWW

tried connecting straight to the ne1 wire and installed the iat sensor and still a no go......is there anything else i can try doing???

February 07 2010, 11:26 PM

Are you getting any RPM signal at all?
Have you wired up the rest of the inputs?
Any logs of start up attempts?

February 08 2010, 8:48 AM
Profile WWW

No RPM's at all, everything else is hooked up. I think he's gotten the IAT installed now too.

We're getting alot of error messages in Megatune because the profiles that came with it doesn't match the one inside the MS unit. I made a hybrid one that works and communicates with the MS, but still gets alot of error messages on loading megatune. It does work, I can monitor all systems but we don't get an RPM signal.

2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

February 08 2010, 11:34 AM
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]