Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 04 2020, 1:14 PM

Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Calg_93GS's worklog (9/22/2012 - Vinyl Wrap) 

Post Calg_93GS's worklog (9/22/2012 - Vinyl Wrap)
Well I had intended to wait until I started my ZE swap to start a log, but ive been doing more to the car then anticipated :freak: So i'll start with a bit of a recap of what ive done/had to do with the car since ive had it, bare with me if you have already seen some of this, its more for the time line of the car :P

So I lost my last car do to the careless driving of another, 89 probe gt turbo, was a great car and fast off the line, not so great in the corners lol
before...
after...
:crying:

So the hunt was on for a new project and after giving up on finding another 89 gt, I started looking for a MX-3 in the best condition I could find one in. After only 2 weeks of looking I sourced out a 93 white GS with only 208k and a bunch of goodies, no rust, and a milk crate of receipts of maintenance from day 1 of the cars life.

Happy with my find, subs and amp where promptly installed as I NEED my bass... lol

2x12" Polk Audio DB 1222's, Clarion 800w amp, 500k cap

Roughly a week after driving the car, a rattle started coming from the engine, fearing it may be the throwout bearing I get the car home only to find my power steering pump has developed a bit of cannibalism and has eaten both its teeth and the pulley's teeth...

After replacing the P/S pump and pulley, roughly a week later, a new problem develops, a loud banging noise from the driver side rear suspension, after jacking the car up, I discover that the upper strut mount had rusted completely through :?

after replacing both rear upper mounts, everything seemed to be going well, I decided to tackle an eyesore on the hatch, the previous owner had placed a bumper sticker by the key hole, when removing the sticker, it took some paint with it :confused2:

Happy with my handy work on the hatch, not much happened with the car for a few weeks. On a trip to the junk yard for some parts for the honda, I found a RS raised wing on one of the MX-3's there, after giving it a new paint job to match the car and picking up a garnish with all the tabs intact from one of the forum members I promptly installed it

few pics of the car all cleaned up for a show and shine (pre - RS wing install) also made my own eyelids out of some di-NOC I had laying around

:: KYB GR2 w/ H&R Springs :: Drag DR-2 17x7 :: RS Raised Spoiler :: 2x12" Polk DB1222 subs w/ 800w Clarion amp ::

Last edited by Calg_93GS on September 22 2012, 9:05 PM, edited 8 times in total.

September 02 2011, 1:03 PM

Post Re: Calg_93GS's worklog
So at the start of the week, I started stalling out when the car was at idle, first thing that jumped in my head was to check all the sensors, began pulling apart the intake to clean out the MAF and the throttle body... once I got to the rubber boot that go's from the TB to the MAF, I discovered 2 rips in the boot between the ribs...

time for new intake!

managed to find a cold air intake on Kijiji that was installed on a 92 honda accord, cost was $40 CAD
was able to find 2"[to]2" and 2"[to]3" couplers at home depot, cost for these was $8/$9 each (sure beats the $35 for 1 2"[to]3" coupler that mopac wanted)
I gave the intake a good cleaning and sanding since it was in fairly rough shape visually, once it was clean, I broke out the dremel and started cutting the piping getting it ready for the intake

got the MAF mounted, vacuum line attached, couplers on nice and secure...

once I was happy with the fitment, I worked on relocating my overflow...

(used an extra garnish mounting bolt to secure it to the bracket)

got the filter installed, pipe attached to the MAF, everything fit like a glove :D

I plan on giving the pipe a blast of paint in the next day or two, for the time being I just wanted to get everything installed and make sure that all was well.

:: KYB GR2 w/ H&R Springs :: Drag DR-2 17x7 :: RS Raised Spoiler :: 2x12" Polk DB1222 subs w/ 800w Clarion amp ::

September 02 2011, 1:04 PM

did some cleanup on my intake that i just put in, had some high temp red paint, put a few coats on both pipes and some diNOC on the MAF just to dress it up a bit, not functional by any means but i thought they looked good, and it made for a nice little project over the afternoon.

September 12 2011, 8:52 AM
Supporting Member

Excellent work, I love your liberal use of pictures. :2thumbsup: You might as well start looking for a KLZE now as I see that in your near future. Image

92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

September 12 2011, 9:51 AM

good project, like what you've done so far. You've addressed issues and didn't go crazy with body kits/rims

Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

September 12 2011, 12:52 PM
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

You've done some of the 100% normal "just bought my MX-3" maintenance. Suspension rusted to death, intake leaking... next you'll do a timing belt and distributor. Exhaust will start to leak at the midpipe before the cat, the EGR will plug, the rocker will rust out below the fender.... Looks good so far :)

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

September 12 2011, 1:10 PM

yeah im not a big one on body kits, GS lip and some euro sides are all i really have planned for the body. and yes im aware that i haven't done anything out of the norm so far with the car, ive mainly been in the planning phase for what i want to do power plant wise, i realize that the ZE swap is the most common and bang for the buck swap, but, i have been doing alot of research on the frankenstein KL build possibilities (de/g4/ze) so once winter rolls in i should have a fun time with my build

i like the stock rims, tho, i have been eyeballing a set of drag rims that a friend of mine can bring in for a decent price (about 700 for all 4 rims with skins) if i decide to stay with my current rims then a coat of paint may be in the works, we'll see.

im mainly trying to stay red, white and black for the car, the only thing shying me away from those rims is the crome lip, im not a huge fan of crome, brushed aluminum looks far sexier imo

September 13 2011, 6:42 AM

just got home from PnP, scored a complete front GS lip. Only a few cracks that can easily be repaired, was missing a few pieces of the hardware but that wasn't a major concern.

also found a blue hood emblem and a silver/gold v6 badge, the mazda and mx-3 badges where already stripped =(

few other pieces aswell but more just spare parts then anything. should have the lip fixed and repainted by the weekend.

edit, and the best part, my little trip was less then $14... <3 PnP (when they have stuff i want)

September 13 2011, 2:43 PM

Sweet find. If you want an mx3 badge PM me your address and I'll send one your way. :D

September 13 2011, 6:18 PM

AaronTietje wrote:
Sweet find. If you want an mx3 badge PM me your address and I'll send one your way. :D

i have 2-3 mx3 badges, i meant the silver/gold mx3 badge to match the v6 badge that i found

September 14 2011, 2:09 AM

Nice work! Should look nice with that front lip painted & installed! Awesome find... Where I am, nobody even knows what the car is, let alone have parts for it... :(
Nice respray job, too - you make it seem so easy! haha!
Lol at your boot space after sub, etc! That's the main thing that's kept me from putting a sub, amp, etc. in my car... must be good bass though :D
I'm with you on the rims, too - I kinda like chrome, but not for exteriors - especially rims. They just weather & age too easily, and, like you say, brushed aluminium is SO much sexier!

September 15 2011, 6:39 AM

Great and cool article man...thanx for the great post...keep on posting such articles...
Cat Back Exhaust :shrug: :welder:

September 17 2011, 5:41 AM

^ bot?

anyways, another visit to PnP netted me another new addition to the car, picked up a set of 2" Top Speed Pro1 Performance headers & Y pipe for the car, and a full 3" mandrel bent single resonator exhaust for the car, it had a cherry bomb turbo muffler but i turfed it as it was smashed up pretty good and i fortunately already have a brand new muffler sitting in the locker for my car

it all came off super easy, i have a feeling it wasn't on the MX3 i pulled it off of very long as all the rubber hangers where brand new and all the bolts are rust free and came off with ease, should be going on the car in the next week or two :welder: :D

edit: looks like this is the set i picked up http://www.topspeedauto.com/ProductCart ... oduct=2340

Last edited by Calg_93GS on September 18 2011, 4:23 AM, edited 1 time in total.

September 18 2011, 3:50 AM

ethand wrote:
Nice work! Should look nice with that front lip painted & installed! Awesome find... Where I am, nobody even knows what the car is, let alone have parts for it... :(
Nice respray job, too - you make it seem so easy! haha!
Lol at your boot space after sub, etc! That's the main thing that's kept me from putting a sub, amp, etc. in my car... must be good bass though :D
I'm with you on the rims, too - I kinda like chrome, but not for exteriors - especially rims. They just weather & age too easily, and, like you say, brushed aluminium is SO much sexier!

thanks man, yeah i occasionally get asked what it is, which is odd since these cars where everywhere when i was in highschool. as for the bass, its wild, some tracks almost hurt when i crank it for "lols" but i have been thinking about dropping down to a either a single 12 or a single 10 because of the weight of my current setup

September 18 2011, 3:53 AM

Haha yeah, i imagine that setup would add more than a few KGs :lol: Doesn't surprise me the bass sometimes hurts haha

September 18 2011, 4:08 AM
Reply to topic   [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next