Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 20 2019, 4:37 PM

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 tehbrookzorz - Project KL-T 

Post tehbrookzorz - Project KL-T
I've accepted that this will be a love/hate thing.
I've modified my goals with the hybrid KL turbo engine. No longer is it to transmit power through a MX-6 G-series transaxle with a Mazdaspeed Protege5 LSD. Truth is, I'm not sure if it will send power through a S4 TII tranny or a W58. I already have a W58 in the car, just have to remove the 22RE. See where I'm going with this?

You will.

Last edited by tehbrookzorz on December 17 2009, 3:20 AM, edited 4 times in total.

October 11 2009, 9:48 PM

Post Re: tehbrookzorz - Project KL-T
Worked out a comparison on the gearing, Project KL-T w/TII tranny vs. MX-3 stock...
(I reduced the picture size because I decided against using this transmission)

Last edited by tehbrookzorz on May 15 2011, 4:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.

October 11 2009, 9:53 PM

Late, but rewarding night of reading last night. Now I need a CAD program.

http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/V6_baj ... /index.htm
http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/V6_baja/Cad/
http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/V6_baj ... nsions.gif

Note to self, Mitsu 4G63 and narrow-block 4G64 owners have been modifying Toyota W58 & Mazda TII trannys for RWD applications. The main point to ponder is adapting the bellhousing to fit my engine, how and where to mount a starter, and what kind of starter/flywheel combination to choose.

http://www.projectzerog.com/archives/Ze ... ions.shtml
http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/inde ... 8798&st=20
http://www.performancecar.co.nz/article ... 145?page=2

It also appears the intake manifold can be used in a reversed orientation if the coolant filler neck is relocated and slight modifications are made to one valve cover.

Great discussion between Miata owners considering the KL.
http://forum.miata.net/vb/printthread.p ... =25&page=6

October 11 2009, 9:57 PM

If anybody has ANY input on how I should go about this, I'm more than happy to accept advise.

Last edited by tehbrookzorz on October 11 2009, 10:30 PM, edited 2 times in total.

October 11 2009, 9:59 PM

If you are uploading via photobucket you can change the image size in the options, go for a 15" screen size that will cut pics down. I usually use 17". 1mb is to big for forums

October 11 2009, 10:18 PM

Again, for the sake of my own reference, the list of build related stuff I have:
KL-DE block bored 0.020" over stock with notched cylinders to accept custom rods, KL-ZE heads with KL-DE intake springs and retainers and 3 way valve job, 8.5:1 ceramic and moly coated custom forged pistons with rings, SAE 4340 forged Eagle 5.400" H-Beam Rods with ARP 2000 cap screws, Mazda OEM head bolts, Fel-Pro MLS Head Gaskets, custom adjustable cam pulleys, Synapse Synchronic BOV, SS turbo pipes, curved neck ZE intake, Outlaw Engineering intake manifold and tb spacers, AEM fuel pressure regulator, Southbend clutch, MX-6 transmission, MX-3 flywheel, gauge pod, AEM UEGO Wideband O2 Sensor/Controller, Autometer mechanical boost gauge, Autometer Cobalt series full sweep electronic oil pressure and temperature gauges, Stri turbo timer, Megasquirt v3, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Vibrant front mount intercooler, oil pump

The list of stuff I still should get:
GT3071R dual ball bearing turbo, Turbosmart 38mm wastegate, performance spark plug wires, water pump, timing belt and idler pulleys, timing belt tensioner strut, Denso 550 injectors and modified fuel rail, oil catch can, slim fan (mishimoto?), poly motor/tranny mounts, tranny, flywheel, clutch, NOS bottle and plumbing for ejector seat.

The question was raised, "why not use ARP head studs?" The answer; at the time they weren't available, and OEM was holding 600+ hp on other builds (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Fra ... lGBdURCWrI)

The more I think about it the more I want to strip everything out of the Celica, soundguard it and reinforce the chassis.

Sometimes when I envision KL-T, my mind wanders to this...

December 17 2009, 3:23 AM

Shoot.. I guess I'm breaking the rules being that this car isn't an MX-3. Hopefully I'm forgiven for interest's sake since its getting a KL engine!

This is gonna be tricky..

I realized that my oil filter housing might be too close to the cross member and exhaust. I found a possible solution on probetalk. Hopefully I can route the lines a little further from the exhaust.
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread. ... relocation

My oil filter housing with sandwich plate adapter to provide oil temp/pressure readings. The thing I don't like about the sandwich plate is that while the inlets on the filter bracket are -8 NPT, the piece that holds the plate on has an ID of 3/8". I figure I can widen it safely as it is thicker metal.
I've ordered the block plate adapter and a small Earl's Temp-A-Cure oil cooler to plumb in.

I think this makes sense... Sorta...

The bottom of my two piece block.

For the sake of showing off, and future reference:

I re-read some information on the Mazda RWD transmissions. The guy who put an N/A KL in his Miata used an N/A RX-7 bellhousing, and for convenience sake (because I knew it would work) I was going to follow suit, but:

"With the introduction of the Turbo in 1986, Mazda added a much beefier transmission. This transmission is patterned after the early "Ribcase" 13B 5-speed, and appears to be excellent, but they made it difficult to install in other models. The bellhousing diameter (not the bolt pattern) is larger, the flywheel is larger, the starter is different and mounts further out, and the driveshaft yoke is larger. It can be installed in other cars (we've done a few) but it is not a "Bolt-In"."
~http://www.mazdatrix.com/g1.htm

So if I've got the room, I should use the TII tranny.

Haha, for $1800 I can get a kit that will bolt a rotary to a supra tranny (http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=840277). Not too far off from what I would be doing with the Celica's stock W58, but not anywhere close to what I'm willing to pay.

I made a terrible, sickening, awful mock up of the engine in the bay. Keep in mind, in application the engine itself will be facing the opposite direction, but this at least illustrates the position of the manifold. I hadn't pictured the throttle body being so far to the driver's side of the car, but it makes perfect sense, and is handy considering its proximity to the intercooler output. The clincher here is deciding which intake manifold to use. The curved neck version flows better, but points away from the intercooler. The straight neck is closer, but obviously doesn't flow as well. I'm considering a KLG4 straight neck Millenia manifold, but... I don't know if its worth it.

A comparison of the ports on the DE and ZE manifolds, respectively:

March 31 2010, 12:12 AM

To be sure we all know what I'm dealing with for the connection of engine to transmission, this is the clutch side of the block (borrowed from Baja Wes).

I found a Miata guy who had a CAD file of an adapter someone had designed to mate a KL to a Miata (BP) transmission. I superimposed an image Baja Wes had made up showing the rough KL dimensions.

March 31 2010, 12:56 AM
Supporting Member

:o
I'm going to follow this!
I recommend the G4, since you can bore it to flow better than a bored ZE.

'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

April 01 2010, 8:20 PM
Profile WWW

I would love a KLG4 manifold. I'll keep my eyes open.

I got ambitious and took the front wheels off, brought them to the shop and resealed them. I don't have a key for the car so the locksmith said I need to take in the passenger door lock. I finally got that out, then I got looking at the passenger fender and wondering if I couldn't work some of the dent out myself. Off that came. Kinda looks bad-ass that way.

Pics from today:

April 05 2010, 11:26 PM

Did more thinking...

I think I could implement some rpm window/solenoid device to divert the vacuum source to the intake manifold at idle, but this is the simplest, most effective system I've come up with.

April 15 2010, 2:24 AM

This is my first time looking into this! Seems like you've got a nice project on your hands.

Just curious, why the 3 way valve job w/o oversized valves?

April 15 2010, 6:57 AM

I wanted to know the valves would seat, and that was what was recommended to me at the time. I'm continuously learning.

April 26 2010, 3:37 AM

YES! This is the way forwards :D What power can those mx5 boxes take? There's a woman from England, known as Clairetoo, has made a few adapter plates/clutch/fly setups to mate Kseries to Mx5 box. Check out her work on this car

April 26 2010, 5:16 AM
Profile WWW

I was mulling over transmission location and making a custom drive shaft. I think using the FC TII transmission with the bellhousing further forward may work, but I'll have to take some measurements. If I can do this, I may be able to use the stock Celica drive shaft with a different yoke and u-joint combination.

May 01 2010, 1:04 AM
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next