Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 13 2020, 8:11 AM

Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next
 fowljesse's GS/SE DE/ZE ;) 
Supporting Member

Post Re: fowljesse's GS/ZE/DE/SE ; )
I put this together today following Wytbishop's, Gro Harlem's, and BabyBlueMX-3's write-ups. Thanks, guys!
What I did differently was: Plug the coil directly into the disty (It's secure, and can be mounted upside-down), and plug the MX-3 6 wire harness directly into the 4 pin disty.
I saw that the first 4 pins on the 6 wire harness correlated to the ones on the ZE disty, so I cut the ZE pin reciever on the disty, so I could plug the 6 wire harness into it, and plugged the wire that goes to the HEI (from the Orange wire) into the last pin reciever (or 1st, depending how you look at it). It plugged in just fine.

On the 3 pin one, I plugged the wires in (when I say plugged in, I mean that I pushed the wires directly into the pin reciever). On the one that had the Tach resistor, I plugged the resistor directly in, and crimped the wire onto it with a butt end. I made a bracket for the HEI module that is held on by one of the disty cap screws, and is grounded to the block, which is grounded via a "Daisy Chain" ground system, and there's an extra ground wire that attatches to the stock ground point.

Here's how I altered the ZE plug-in:

I cut the end off, and shaved the splines. The 6 pin plug goes right on, and is tight. It takes a little resistance to pull it off. I should have cut the side closer to the radiator, as the extra 2 pins hang over that way.

Here's the 1,000 .5 Watt resistor plugged in.

Here it is done:

It comes close to the hood, but doesn't touch, since I have solid motor mounts, and my new torque brace, but to be safe, I altered the reinforcement of my hood, for when I drag race. I cut 2 slits, and beat it down with an 8lb. shotput ball I use for juggling :lol:

I've "gotten on it" a couple of times, and it doesn't touch :mrgreen:

I made a plastic bracket to support the coil, and siliconed it to the disty. I didn't want any metal in it, just in case.
I did it because I'm a fanatic. I think that every miniscule but counts, and wanted it to be compact, and have as little wiring as possible. I also shortened my plug wires by almost 6 feet. People will say it won't make any difference, but hey, I was making them anyway, so no sweat :wink:

'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

October 28 2008, 9:24 PM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

I did a little research on plug wire resistance.
Yoda said, "Assumming that the average length of wire is 1.5 feet. the stock wires have a resistance of about 4500ohms /ft. You will have a 13.7% or about 5750 volt loss at the plugs. MSD make a wire that is 50ohms/ft given the same parameters loss with be 0.15% or about 64 volts".
So, using this as a guide, I cut my MSD wires about 6 feet shorter overall from the stock length. If the stock length is 9 feet(ish), I reduced the resistance another 60%. This, of course isn't exact, but illustrates my point that shortening your plug wires can make a difference, especially if you don't have low resistance ones.

'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

October 29 2008, 12:11 PM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

I can't believe how much oil the catch can catches! I took the reservoir off to show CJthor, and Mooneggs how I built it, and it had ALOT of oil in it (enough to pour out, and it's only been a few days). Today, I put 2 Copper pot & pan scrubbers in it, to even better catch oil. I read that Copper attracts oil, and Cjthor told me that some high end cans come with Copper scrubbers in them. I highly recommend putting in a catch can.

November 03 2008, 3:02 AM
Profile WWW

fowljesse wrote:
I can't believe how much oil the catch can catches!

Me neither! Well I have a fuel filter inline but after 1 day it's already got 5ml of oil :shock: Catch can is the way forwards...Looks like a neat job :)

November 03 2008, 9:22 AM
Profile WWW

Where did you attach the oil catch can to ??

I've one with a hose from the front valve cover and one hose from the rear valvecover. But when i turn of the engine you can hear the sissing noise from pressure being released.

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click

November 03 2008, 3:27 PM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

Mine is from the PCV valve to the intake manifold. I just extended the original line. If the picture doesn't show it well enough, I'll put up a new one.

November 04 2008, 6:22 AM
Profile WWW

Could you post a picture were it's better visible?

Worklog
Worklog click

November 04 2008, 6:39 AM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

I don't think I can get a better picture of it than the last one on page 5. It is in a strange location on the intake manifold, since mine's a 2002 straight neck 2.5. Follow the black lines that are closest to the blue plug wires. The top one goes into the IM just under the strut bar. The other one comes out of the front valve cover at the PCV valve. Follow the hose coming out of the driver's side of your front valve cover to the IM. That's the one oyu want to put a catch can in.

November 04 2008, 2:55 PM
Profile WWW

Are you sure about the top one from the front valve cover?? I thought that one needs a vacum from the intake manifold.

I have used the the line from the front valve cover that is colored silver in your case.

Worklog
Worklog click

November 04 2008, 6:18 PM
Profile WWW

I like your catch can. Can you make me one please?

November 05 2008, 10:59 AM
Supporting Member

WhiteFinish wrote:
Are you sure about the top one from the front valve cover?? I thought that one needs a vacum from the intake manifold.

I have used the the line from the front valve cover that is colored silver in your case.

Yes. The catch can doesn't affect the IM vaccuum. There is constant airflow while the engine is on. That's what makes it work.

November 06 2008, 2:41 AM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

taylor_matt wrote:
I like your catch can. Can you make me one please?

Yes PM me :)
It works great.

November 06 2008, 2:43 AM
Profile WWW

So were did you connect the vacuum from the top of the manifold to then?

Worklog
Worklog click

November 06 2008, 6:45 AM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

Oy Vey.

I simply put the catch can in the PCV line. It goes from the PCV valve in the top of the front valve cover to the intake manifold. Please PM me if you have any more questions about this :wink:

November 06 2008, 3:03 PM
Profile WWW

pm sent

November 06 2008, 4:44 PM
Reply to topic   [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 25  Next