Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 11 2019, 6:24 PM

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Headlight switched off whilst driving then back on again!!! 

Post Headlight switched off whilst driving then back on again!!!
Hello all, I am new to this forum so please be nice!!!!!! I am an mx-3 owner and i have to say it is the best car in the world!!!! V6 se model 93 uk. The other day whilst driving at night the headlights switched themself off and back on again after a couple seconds, so much that i noticed it as i was plunged into darkness!!!!! bit scary! Though the interior dial lights remained on and the engine remained idling as at first i thought i had an engine cut off but it was definately not that. It was ok for the rest of the night, till the next day it did it again! getting worried it may cut off completely.Any ideas? Please!!!! Thanks

August 19 2005, 8:00 AM
BANNED Member

The interior dash lights are on a different circuit with the tails.

It could be a bad connection somewhere (fuse? - swap it anyway!), bad switch or bad relay. I'd start at the relay (under the dash just turn your headlights on and you should hear it click). Check all the connections on it. Could even be a bad ground from the headlight switch.

Theres a wiring diagram here if its any help to you:
http://www.mx3er.com/Info/1993%20Wiring%20Diagrams.pdf

Good luck with it - keep us posted and let us know if we can help further.

August 19 2005, 8:16 AM

Post Lights switching off then back on again.
Thanks Grant for your speedy reply!!!!!!!!! I shall make good use of your advice and let you know the results next week, fingers crossed I find something, or darkness may strike again!!! :D

Help Much appreciated!

August 19 2005, 10:27 AM

Hello Grant, Ok, finally got round to checking out the lighting issue and changed the fuse as advised, checked all connections in the engine bay connected to the lights and the day after it still did the same. Perhaps you are right in thinking it could be a faulty relay? i will get a quote from Mazda on a new one, and hope this will work, otherwise change the switch as well, could be faulty as you advised. Many thanks, ill keep you posted!

August 26 2005, 4:30 AM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]