Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 13 2019, 3:02 AM

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 real stumper problem. 

Post real stumper problem.
OK so ive got a virus named trojan.vundo, thats what symantec calls it. I have norton systemworks 2003, and it includes antivirus and everything. What i have tried to do:
-scan for viruses in regular mode, didnt pick it up.
-scan in safe mode, didnt pick it up.
-scan in safe mode in administator, didnt pick it up
-delete the tem windows files, didnt work
-delete temporary internet files, didnt work

so basically ive done everything synmantec told me to do and its not working. they want me to pay $99.99 USD for them to direct connect and delete it, thats a rip off and i know i can do it myself considering i know where it is but i cant access the folder(safe mode or regular mode) The file is located D:\Documents and Settings\Daniel when i click on the folder it says "D:\Documents and Settings\Daniel is not accessible" "access to this file was denied"

So basically my question is, how do i access this folder?

p.s ive updated the virus defintions as well.

June 23 2007, 1:59 PM
Supporting Member

Most antiviral software can't get rid of trojans. You need either a specific executable to counter it or knowledge of every file infected so you can boot in safe mode and delete all the files. Google vundo and you should find a bunch of links to ways of taking it out. Also look into RegEdit and Hijack This. They are (imo) the best way to keep your computer running clean.

June 23 2007, 4:27 PM

June 23 2007, 8:59 PM

How do you know you have this virus? Woudn't be the first time i've seen norton give a false positive.

A good try is Trend Micro's Sysclean utility and their latest lpt patter file

2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

June 28 2007, 11:37 PM
Profile ICQ WWW

what is the Trend Micro's sysclean utility?

June 29 2007, 7:10 PM
Supporting Member

AVG seems to make a good anti-virus and spyware removal package.. and its free to download and use..

FYI.. A trojan isnt really a virus.. what it is, is a small set of instructions that instructs your computer to open a "back door" on your computer to the internet. And then alerts another computer (or computers) that there is a free ride available for lack of a better term. I am not a big fan of Norton products, but a lot of people seem to like them. Best of luck

Tunes67

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Last edited by Tunes67 on June 29 2007, 8:15 PM, edited 1 time in total.

June 29 2007, 7:32 PM
Profile YIM

so far it hasnt done nay damage. everythime it makes a .dll or another file type norton automatically deletes it. where can i download Trend Micro's sysclean utility?

June 29 2007, 8:05 PM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]