Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 07 2020, 11:38 PM

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Hi, any ideas for mods on my new MX3? 

Post Hi, any ideas for mods on my new MX3?
Hi, just got my new MX3, it was £1150, which seems quite cheap...

Its a '97 V6 1.8, called The Black Moth, check out the picture below!

Anyway, I was wondering what the best mods were...I cant find an induction kit for this model for some reason - Does one exist? K&N don't seem to do one!

Cheers, nice to be an MX3 owner!

Oli

1.8 V6, MODS: Richbrook Steering Wheel, Green Cotton Air Filter, 16" Wheels, Speakers, Sub+Amp
MODS Planned: White Dials

February 21 2006, 9:45 AM

Welcome to the board and I hope your MX-3 grows on your like mine did :D

You can source alot of parts from CorkSport.com, Mazda Speed also made some parts for the MX-3, but I hear they are hard to get in Europe.

As for a cold air intake you can easily build one yourself using a kit from a Integra and cutting the pipes to fit your application.

However, the best modification is doing an engine swap. I'm sure anyone will tell you that pound for pound it is the best HP for the money. The motor can come from a Ford Probe, Mazda MX-6, 626 or a Millinea. I'm sure others from Europe can help more with regualtions and where to get the parts for the swap.

Good luck with your MX-3 8)

ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

February 21 2006, 10:31 AM

Thanks Pat, I'm sure I will get to like the car more and more - my previous car was a Peugeot 205 1.9 CTi, which was about the same performance wise, maybe a bit faster in the lower gears and a bit more fun to drive, but not as comfortable or as good looking as the MX-3!

Unfortunately I'm from the UK, so I can't get parts off that website...

I am a student, so I dont really have the money, or time to perform an engine swop - I am just gonna mod the current engine a bit I think.
:P

1.8 V6, MODS: Richbrook Steering Wheel, Green Cotton Air Filter, 16" Wheels, Speakers, Sub+Amp

February 21 2006, 11:50 AM

I got my induction kit from ebay.com

Got it from the states. Most sellers on there are willing to send to the uk. Lots of parts on there compared to the uk ebay!

February 21 2006, 4:08 PM
Profile WWW

Post Induction Kit
I've got a demon tweeks catalogue right in front of me. Green Direct Induction Kit (Part # P114) £67.50

February 22 2006, 9:02 PM
Profile WWW

Post .
Sounds like a very good buy mate- I wanted a black one and ended up getting a silver 96 with 75k on it for £1600 which I thought was not bad since it had 11 months tax, 6 months MOT and new battery,exhaust and stereo.
What mileage yours got?

As for mods I'd say the induction kit is easiest and cheapest. Then exhaust, some light alloys and then maybe a fuel dump valve. That should gice you at least 10-12 horses which would be certainly felt.

February 23 2006, 7:17 PM

i've got some side skirts that i'd definately be willing to sell make me an offer!

i'd possibly sell my brand new carbon hood for 450 but you'd have to collect it

February 24 2006, 4:44 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys, its got 115000 miles on the clock, but engine is still perfect by the sounds of it. The only bad points I could make about the car are:

1. When I start the car in the morning and reverse it out there is a slight grating sound as i engage the clutch.
2. Brakes failed me once - I was braking v.hard down a hill and it seemed like when it passed a certain point there was no braking power...They are usually fine though.

Apart from that the car has been perfect so far, MOT is coming up in a month.

I have ordered a new green cotton single cone filter, which should make it sound nice and add a couple of HP :)

Where do you live BADMX3? I am interested in the skirts for sure!

February 25 2006, 10:13 AM

i live in good old yorkshire. i could probably get the skirts shipped fairly cheap

February 25 2006, 5:45 PM

Post .
Kewl.

My brakes are a bit dodgey too - have just bought some new discs. When your's faded did'nt the ABS kick in or the ABS light come on?
Anyway check your discs and pads and the lines. If all ok I'd still change the fluid.

With the salt on the roads here I'd also get under and check all the suspension arms and wheel arches etc I cleaned all mine and the KU Rusted any offending bits.

February 25 2006, 7:02 PM
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]