Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 08 2020, 12:08 AM

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 UK KLZE Conversion 

Post UK KLZE Conversion
Well at long last the conversion is 75% complete. But running
Parts fitted
1996 KLZE 2.5 Engine (£700)
Mazdaspeed engine mounts. (£203.93)
Fidenza Flywheel ( £221.15 )
CM Clutchmasters stage 2 Clutch ( £140 )
KL-36 ecu. ( £120 )
8mm blue HT leads custom made by magnecor ( £164 )
Blitz mitsubishi evo air filter ( not shown in photo waiting for adaptor plate ) ( £180 )
Battery relocation to rear. Ultima yellow top. ( £180 )
Inlet and rocker cover polished ( £200 )
KLZE badge ( £17 )
Blitz oil filer and 0-40w Oil.
Samco hosing
Every possible mazda manual available !!

Still to come
Hotshot stainless headers/exhaust manifolds
Hi flow or removed cat
Stainless steel 2.5 exhaust
Brake upgrade.

Project was pretty faultless. I think being a 1996 Ze into a 1996 mx-3 made the job alot easier. I was able to keep the Ze alternator. But most parts were swapped from the K8, distributor etc. Only problem on firing was a idle issue but was sorted in matter of minutes. And because the brake servo is on the left side here in the UK. The long neck inlet manifold fits in perfectly. And the existing suspension strut fits without modifying.

Thanks to all you guys on mx-3.com and mx6.com special thanks to onzlock for selling me most of the ze parts and his advice. Mmac for passing on his KLZE knowledge. And pedro_mx3 for his continued advice also.

At the moment the engine is held back by an estimated 30bhp as it is running on the complete 1.8 exhaust system. But even so the noise and pull from it is amazing !!.

Pictures should be below ( first time ive posted pics !! ) Let us know what you think. Cheers

[/img]

2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.

January 02 2006, 9:40 AM
Profile WWW

well done mate congrats there aren't that many klze engined mx's in the uk.

i may be selling the modifying parts from mine as i think i'm gonna scrap it not decided yet if i do i'll give you a shout so you can have the style to go with the extra power

January 02 2006, 1:41 PM

anyone have any idea on how hard it is to put the klze engine into the english 1.6 auto???

Would love to do it, but im thinking that it will be a lot harder!!!

January 02 2006, 3:28 PM
Profile WWW

Dont think it can be done because of the main harness and few other restrictions. The best bet would be a 1.6 turbo lump with manual gearbox conversion. Would produce just as much power as a Ze lump. I would have thought a little more as a 1.6 engine should be alot lighter.

2.5 Ze straight neck, blitz intake, mazdaspeed engine mounts, fidenza flywheel, CM II Clutch, KL-36 ecu, Magnecor 8mm Leads, Battery Relocation. Hotshot headers, 2.5 mandrel bent stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, Speed hut dials, custom coilover set up. Custom willwood big brake conversion.

January 02 2006, 4:49 PM
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Hey there, it looks fantastic. Big Well done on getting it done. Have you had it dynoed yet? Wheres the engine from? Is it JDM?

Last edited by MikeUK on March 03 2006, 3:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.

January 02 2006, 9:04 PM
Profile WWW

The engine is from JAS in Norfolk I think ??. I brought the engine, clutch, and ecu from onzlock who sadly couldnt finish his Ze project due to commitments. But as they say one mans loss is another mans gain. Once the exhaust has been done and everything has run in It will be getting dyno'd. Sad thing is im not ready to decare everthing yet so it will be dry stored for a while until insurance is up for renewal in May then everything will be ligit. Also gives me time to plan and save for exhaust and brakes.

January 03 2006, 5:21 AM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

lookin very sexy sir i must admit :D hope i was of help and all went well, now im moved over to ireland i think it may be time to slot one into mine :D been thinking about it for far too long :P

Gratz man, top job

Make a Donation, Keep Mx3.com Alive!!

1991 V6 K8 -- My baby, i miss her... On her way to car heaven... <3

January 03 2006, 9:33 AM

Go for it mate! Hopefully the irish customs arnt as strict as ours. Id didnt manage to get anything through without paying the customs charge :x
A nice fresh engine will look the nuts against your respray. Might have to take a trip to Norfolk end of this year to get a fresh spray as well. Cheers for advice, it made everything that much easier !

January 03 2006, 10:19 AM
Profile WWW

The best bet would be a 1.6 turbo lump

You mean bolt on a turbo, or get a different engine with a turbo as standard?? Your have to excuse my thickiness. im not really into the whole power thing. body work is more my style!

And oh yeah.... your engine bay looks sweeeeeeeeeeet!! :D

January 03 2006, 2:41 PM
Profile WWW

I havent really looked into it alot but from what i understand The B6T is found in only limited quantities around the globe. You need to source one from one of the following cars: '88-89 Mazda 323 GT/GTX (NA, Euro and Jspce. I think due to the limited quantities of the engine plus fittting costs it may be quite alot !!. The way i see it is that if your gonna still go ahead with your airbag system and a monster sound system then all this added weight is going to affect performance. A good example was last weeks topgear where the 3.0L V6 peugeot 306 lost to a 100BHp sprite. So you may have to accept that your car as a cruiser and not a racer. Atleast youve got the DOHC engine. You could always have some head/cam work done etc to get some more performance out of it. All the info you need is in the 4 cyl FAQ section of the forum.

Cheers for the comments guys :D

January 04 2006, 7:25 AM
Profile WWW

yeah i see that. That guy must have been crazy to let some bloke rag his pride and joy round the racetrack! In the wet too! lol

im not going to be racing around. but i would like a bit of poke. Plus the sound of a turbo just finished a show car off. I've done a couple of engine swaps before, and also a turbo conversion on my mates colt, so i'd like to think i could have a go at doing some of it myself! :p

January 04 2006, 12:45 PM
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Hey watch how you speak pal, thats not just some guy THATS THE STIG. LOL

January 04 2006, 2:12 PM
Profile WWW

lol, this goes no further than the board, but you can register for tickets to be in the topgear studio at http://www.applausestore.com I was in the audience when they had the New Golf GTi Vs Megane Vs Astra VXr. The studio is amazing and i had a excellent time. The studio is in Guildford at Dunsford Airfield. You can only register for shows a couple of weeks before they are filmed so your have to wait to spring now to register. Remember Hush Hush.... ( the more people you tell the less chance i have of going again :D )

January 04 2006, 2:38 PM
Profile WWW

Post Nice shiny Bay
I like the polished IM, Im waiting for my MS800 IM, Mine is a Straight neck ZE too, great fun to drive. Here are pics of mine....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/ ... age003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/ ... age002.jpg

No pics of engine yet, She is still unpolished, but emery cloth & dremmel ready!

January 06 2006, 8:38 PM

Update: Mitsubishi evo blitz air filter now fitted. Damm she is big !! will cold air duct it towards spring/summer.

January 15 2006, 11:12 AM
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next