Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 08 2020, 12:40 AM

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Car not starting - has anyone in UK tried the HEI mod? 

Post Car not starting - has anyone in UK tried the HEI mod?
Hi all -

I posted to the Technical forum that my car isn't starting. it's a '95 V6, UK model. 140K miles.

I had a mechanic come out to the house - he checked spark plugs and starter motor which were ok (he said). He said I'd have to go to a dealer to check for electronic probs...or fuel pump.

I contacted my local dealer who immediately said "sounds like your coil pack assembly has gone". it's £460 or so, plus diagnosis, plus fitting...heading towards £700, which is approaching the value of the car (though, not it's value to me :P ).

Anyway I posted to the forum and I got a very quick response from a Canadian guy who said it's most likely the module within the distributor. He provided links to show how to add a new module, bypassing the old one.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar probs, or attempted this modification? I'd like to find out if it's possible on a UK car, and what parts would be different. I've seen new & reconditioned distributors for £200 or so on quitegood.com and am unsure whether I should just bite the bullet and replace the distributor. I can't imagine what the guy at the MOT centre would think of the HEI mod - I presume he'd spot it? I presume it's not really above board, either?

thanks for any help/opinions
Simon

December 15 2005, 7:57 AM
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]