Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 13 2019, 7:59 AM

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Oil seal stop plate question 

Post Oil seal stop plate question
I have a quick question about the transaxle oil seal, the tranny is from a 92 RS. I'm guessing it is a stop plate for the oil seal, I'm not sure what other purpose it has.

Behind the seal where the axle inserts into the differential, there is a metal lip. Mine is chipped up pretty bad. On the passenger side, the top and bottom have areas missing. Looks like when I pulled the seal out with a screwdriver it took a chunk of the stop pate with it :shock: . or maybe one of the times I was prying out the axle I broke off the chunk from the bottom, unless they are supposed to be like that :shrug: .

Anyways, what I'm getting at is, If the stop plate is damaged, how do I ensure it won't leak gear oil?

Or is this the time when it's just easier to swap to the KIA tranny? (I already have the BP...)
and as a side note, does anyone know the fuel economy difference? (shifting at approx. 3k rpm) Thanks!!

November 24 2013, 8:32 PM
Profile YIM

Post Re: Oil seal stop plate question
If it helps any the transmission I just put in had damage to that lip on both sides but as long as theres enough of an edge to catch the seal your fine, just make sure there are not any grooves extending past the seal edges. Otherwise just be careful tapping in the new seals not to drive it full force and stop once theyre seated.

November 26 2013, 1:04 AM

If I understand you correctly, that is exactly what I'm looking for!

Just to be clear, what your saying is: if the stop plate is chipped up, cracked, missing some chunks, whatever, it doesn't effect the seal. UNLESS, the damage extends beyond just the back plate and into the round area where the seal actually sits....

I don't know what you mean by don't drive it too hard. When I was trying to install the new seals, the driver side went in nice and easy, the passenger side seal was a pain :twisted: . I had to beat the hell out of it to get it flush and think I may have ruined it :( .

I don't have the SST seal installer. So, I was just using my axle nut socket to drive them in :lol: . Anybody know the ballpark price for a seal installer (U.S.)?

November 26 2013, 1:39 AM
Profile YIM

A socket is fine, thats all Ive used just dont wail on the thing like your laying down railroad spikes and youll be ok

November 26 2013, 11:00 PM

very much appreciated, THANKS!!

December 01 2013, 2:46 PM
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]