Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 13 2019, 3:19 AM

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 High Flow Cat 
Supporting Member

Post High Flow Cat
I will be using a 2.5" downpipe for my BP Turbo project and currently don't have a high flow cat to match up to it - I have the stock MX-3 Cat. I have been thinking of options and am weighing three right now:

1. Bolt-on eBay Catalytic Converter
2. Universal 2.5" Catalytic Converter (Flowmaster, Magnaflow, etc.)
3. Keep stock MX-3 Cat

I know people say the eBay version sucks but my question is: How can they advertise this as a catalytic converter if it has no internal catalytic converter properties? People compare these to test pipes which are also available on eBay but I don't get why a company would falsely advertise... has anyone purchased the eBay one? I am curious.

I know I will need to have my downpipe welded to meet up with my exhaust and wouldn't mind also buying a universal cat from the above stated companies and have that welded in also I just know exhaust shops near me will screw me the more work I have them do.

For Sale Thread

February 19 2014, 4:20 PM
Supporting Member

Post Re: High Flow Cat
I have a magnaflow HF cat and it seems to work fine. I would suggest name brand cat so your sure it has been proven to pass emissions.

92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

February 19 2014, 5:41 PM

The quality of the catalytic converter is relative to the amount of platinum contained in them. People have reported that even the Magnaflows are only good for a year or two.

2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

February 20 2014, 6:43 PM
Profile ICQ WWW
Supporting Member

Wonder if I am better off keeping my stock Cat for now? Only issue is the restrictive diameter (since I believe stock RS exhaust diameter is 1 7/8"). I am only running GTX VJ20 with GTX injectors and ECU so maybe it won't be a huge issue?

For Sale Thread

February 20 2014, 6:47 PM

I would suggest that you get the Magnaflow high flow cat, I ran one of those for a few years before I decided to remove the cat completely due to no emissions laws where I am.

Supertech Forged Pistons, ARP Studs, ACL Bearings, Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, T3 50trim Turbo,Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Custom Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, Megasquirt V2, RX7 460cc Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light

February 20 2014, 10:15 PM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]