Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 05 2020, 6:43 AM

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 V6 GS replace with a 4 cylinder 

Post V6 GS replace with a 4 cylinder
Hello, I am looking into swapping out my K8 V6 engine for a 4 cylinder. Does the ECU from my GS work with any of the 4 cylinder engines. Will the stock GS motor mounts work with any of the 4 cylinder MX3 engines? I am looking to do this swap because I need a new engine. I already know about the KLDE/KLZE swaps but that is out of the question. Thank You!

August 23 2012, 9:51 PM

Post Re: V6 GS replace with a 4 cylinder
You're better off putting in a BP engine from a 93-96 protege then a k8. The K8-->RS swap is incredibly difficult compared to a BP or KL-ZE/DE swap.

This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.

August 23 2012, 10:37 PM

RobMinhas wrote:
You're better off putting in a BP engine from a 93-96 protege then a k8. The K8-->RS swap is incredibly difficult compared to a BP or KL-ZE/DE swap.

x2. Im positive the swap has been covered here..but I'm with Rob.

EDIT- Wait, You want to pull out the v6 and install the 4cly?? :confused2:

EDIT! Just saw your other post in v6 tech. I don't understand why you would want to swap a BP into a GS body....

92 GS 5spd for sale! Sold it....after I got a hatch cover in great condition :evil:
92 GS Auction Car, most expensive non-running mx-3 I have ever bought... Parted out and Crushed.

MY WORKLOG, check it out :) http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=79959

August 23 2012, 10:49 PM

tet493 wrote:
Hello, I am looking into swapping out my K8 V6 engine for a 4 cylinder.

I tell you what...because i like you....i'll trade my 4 cyl mx-3 for your gs...cool? :lol: :love2:

August 24 2012, 1:23 AM

Woah, i totally misread that, I think that swap is easier(b6/bp->GS) but it's still considerably harder then putting in a DE or ZE.

This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.

August 24 2012, 1:29 AM

93DrunkMx3r wrote:
I tell you what...because i like you....i'll trade my 4 cyl mx-3 for your gs...cool?

Would be the easist way, mostly because he'll need to get a 2nd Mx-3 4cyl basically as a doner car to do the mod.

RobMinhas wrote:
Woah, i totally misread that, I think that swap is easier(b6/bp->GS) but it's still considerably harder then putting in a DE or ZE.

Wait, what?

Swapping a 4cyl to a V6 or no different for work than to swap a v6 to a 4cyl, which is the most complex of the mods because of how much work involved, but it's all bolt in, eventually. Even a BP swap into a DOHC is easier, the "fun part" is only the harness that you have to deal with.

Swapping a DE or ZE hard? Really? It's literally, literally no different than swapping for another K8. Out of all the engine swaps for the MX3, 4cyl or V6, what is THE easiest, bar none.

2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

August 24 2012, 9:00 AM
Profile ICQ WWW

What I meant is, i'm sure folks have put BPTs into GS bodies so I'd assume theres more resources as far as that goes. And with the DE/ZE swap it's jut the ECU and EGR stuff that can make it a bit of a pain right?

Either way, it would be recommended by everyone involved here I think to stick with a v6 engine instead of putting in a four cyl.

August 24 2012, 11:39 AM

RobMinhas wrote:
What I meant is, i'm sure folks have put BPTs into GS bodies so I'd assume theres more resources as far as that goes.

There's some, but it's not nearly as plentiful as 4cyl-to-V6.

RobMinhas wrote:
And with the DE/ZE swap it's jut the ECU and EGR stuff that can make it a bit of a pain right?

Kinda? Depends if you define what is a pain. ECU's aren't that big of a deal except for matching the VRIS on teh curved neck. People are obsessed and blame the ECU's for having it "run rich", that's an obsessed delusion to other problems in their vehicle that they haven't sorted out yet. There's also the 180km/h limiter on it, which is bypassable, but no one bothers to try. There's also the Probinator/Stroker100 options...

EGR, yes and no. KL31/36's have no EGR programming, so they don't control it at all since they're not aware of it. You don't need an EGR to pass except on the visual inspection, if they check, I passed 2 and many around here had no problems with emission testing and no EGR...

2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar

August 24 2012, 1:36 PM
Profile ICQ WWW

That's a surprise as far as L4 to V6, didn't know that.

Hmmm, I suppose it would be easier to stuff in a DE anyway. Unless he's got an FE3 or a BPT he wants to stick in there I think a KL is a much better idea.

August 24 2012, 1:55 PM

FE3T would be a custom job, requires custom mounts, axles, linkages and such

August 24 2012, 3:09 PM
Profile ICQ WWW

Thanks guys, my engine might be blown and I have a 4 banger the will pretty much be free. I will just save up for the KLDE/KLZE instead thought. I anticipated most of the answer I got but I just wanted to make sure.

August 24 2012, 7:56 PM
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]