Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 13 2019, 2:45 AM

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 HOW TO: Paint an OEM Eurethane Bumper 

Post HOW TO: Paint an OEM Eurethane Bumper
I am not a painter or a body man. I don't actually know anything about paint. The parts I used in this project were OEM and new. I cannot say for sure what would happen with other materials. I got the paint from my local NAPA for $30 per can. My total for materials to do the bumper, lip and mini euro sides is about $180 and included 3 cans of paint, 4 cans of primer, 2 cans of clearcoat, 1 can of adhesion promoter, a few sheets of 160 and 320 grit sandpaper and 2 pads each of red (course) and grey (fine) Scotchbrite.

1. For new parts, wash the entire piece thoroughly with a red scotchbrite pad and comet. The comet gets it very clean and the abrasiveness of it along with the scotchbrite pad scuffs it up very nicely.

2. Rinse it off very thoroughly. You have to get all the comet residue off.

3. For unpainted plastic the next step is adhesion promoter. One coat is all that's required. There was one area that needed to be sanded out on the bumper so make sure to clean it thoroughly with a tack cloth and use the adhesion promoter before re-priming.

4. I primed the entire bumper with "Flex Fill" primer. Don’t try to get full coverage with the first coat. Do a nice light coat, wait 15mins and do another. Let that dry for 1/2 hour or so and then lightly sand with 320 grit. The primer goes on with a bit of texture so you're just trying to knock it down. If you get runs int he primer you have to sand them out and possibly reprime so be carefull.

5. Wipe all the sanding dust off with a clean cloth. Then use a tack cloth to ensure that there’s no dust at all! Then I used a cloth (not the same as the one I used before) with some brake clean on it to make sure there’s no grease or oil from my hands on the piece. Brake clean dries with no residue and won’t harm the primer.

6. Now spray the color. Again, you’re not trying to get full coverage with the first coat. Put down a nice light coat and don’t worry if it’s not even all over. Wait 15 mins and do another light coat. Now you should have pretty good even coverage. Wait 15 more minutes and do another coat. This time you’re looking for any patchiness or areas that aren’t even. Let that dry at least an hour. Here are some small pieces before clear.

7. At this point a pro or experienced painter would probably color sand. I’ve never done that and am not sure the correct procedure so I didn’t. I used a grey scotchbrite pad (the finest) and LIGHTLY wiped down one area of the bumper to see if it was better but that turned out to be a bad idea so I did another light coat over that. I think the right thing to do would be to let it dry for a day and then wet sand with something like 1000 grit, but I was too scared to screw up the paint.

8. So now I just did three light coats of clear. The clearcoat I used came out of the can really heavy so it was difficult to do light even coats. Again, I think a better painter would have done something to smooth the surface of the clear as well but I didn’t.

And the finished product...

Don't ask me any complicated questions cuz I will not know the answers.

2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

May 02 2010, 5:20 PM

Post Re: HOW TO: Paint an OEM Eurethane Bumper
You did pretty good. I would say you can have a career in autobody/paint. This comes from a painter btw :)

Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

May 02 2010, 7:16 PM
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Supporting Member

OK, for sanding the paint a rubbing compound is a safe way to go instead of using a really fine grit sand paper.
As far as the paint goes a lot of places will suggest using a flexer additive in the paint for unpainted surfaces. Job looks great now to see how the paint holds up. Doing your own painting is such a money saver. The clear coat hasn't got an isocyanate hardener so it'll take about 1 month to really set up. Looks like you got the colour match right on. Congrats. :)

92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

May 02 2010, 8:28 PM

You won't have as nice of a gloss with a rattle can clear coat. As far as paint it does look like it matches

Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Last edited by mitmaks on May 03 2010, 12:01 AM, edited 1 time in total.

May 02 2010, 9:02 PM
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah it definitely doesn't look professional up close. The pictures are quite forgiving. The paint match is quite good but of course the original paint is quite faded so when you're close you can see the difference. I really just wanted to get the parts on the car and not look terrible. There are other body issues that are beyond my skill level so the whole car will be getting a professional treatment in the future. I just thought some other people might want to try it and this could help.

2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

May 02 2010, 9:30 PM

I never heard of adhesion promoter being used for painting purposes. But you did a really good job so I guess it must work!

May 02 2010, 9:54 PM

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:
I never heard of adhesion promoter being used for painting purposes. But you did a really good job so I guess it must work!

adhesion promote is a god send when it comes to painting. use it on all my projects, NEVER had a flake or peel yet. On rims, interior pieces, stuff around the house, etc.

May 02 2010, 11:27 PM
Supporting Member

I'm going to use an adhesion promoter when I clean and prep my frame rails for installation of the SS frame reinforcements I made. I plan to mount them with metal epoxy and I want a strong bond.

92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

January 08 2011, 11:02 AM
Supporting Member

Nicely done wyt, I know it's been a while since this was posted, but it looks great.

mitmaks, you're a painter eh?? PM'd XD

'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL, 67mm TB, MegaSquirt, Coilpacks, 5 lugs, Speed6 brakes, FD wheels, wiretuck, progressive coilovers, shorty headers w/ custom collector, AEM WB, 2.5" straight, Borla XS
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

January 13 2011, 1:15 AM
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]