Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 13 2019, 9:17 PM

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 seems to lose fuel pressure when warm 

Post seems to lose fuel pressure when warm
bought a 93 mx_3 v6 all stock took it for a nice long test drive it ran fine. I literaly drove it about 15 km and it the engine started cutting in and out hard. Took it to work pulled one code 17. Narrowed it down to low fuel pressure. pulled the pump nasty rust inside the tank. Cleaned the tank as best I could with water, CLR and steel wool drain and dried it. Filled the tank and it ran great for about a quarter tank then started doing it again engine cutting in and out hard accompanied by a misfire no power and rough idle. So I swapped the tank and fuel pump and a third fuel filter. fired it up only put 10 bucks worth of gas in it, it ran fine but only up the street then started doing it again I've ruled out TPS and I think the Fuel pressure regulator but not sure about that one. I have pretty good feeling if I fill it, it will go away for a quarter tank or so then come right back. I can't hear or find any vacuum leaks.

here what it does to the best of my descriptive capabilities.

Runs smooth cold revs fine, Once it warms up or is under load (even cold) it gets a bad bogging noise like a carb with crappy floats, partial or slight throttle applications will get the engine to about 4 or 5k rpm then its like the fuel cuts out. A WOT application causes it to bog hard right down to just above idle then it starts cutting in and out if you hold WOT eventually it'll start back firing back into the intake

January 11 2014, 1:36 AM

Post Re: seems to lose fuel pressure when warm
I am at a total loss. With a full tank it runs great tons of power no misfire no cutting in and out. By three quarters it'll do it but only cornering right. By half a tank it gets worse. under Quarter tank it runs like a bag of crap as soon as its warm.

January 11 2014, 1:41 AM

Sounds like an issue with your fuel pump.

This is my MX3. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My MX3 is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My MX3, without me, is useless. Without my MX3, I am useless. I must fire up my MX3 true. I must drive straighter than any Honda driver who is trying to own me. I must own him before he owns me.

January 11 2014, 2:03 AM

Sounds like an issue with the fuel pump sealing internally in the tank... Could be the pump/lines..

Have you put a fuel pressure tester on it and watched whats going on??

January 11 2014, 4:01 AM

Fuel pressure is solid right in spec. Found a bad connection to the TPS. Just touched the plug and it started high idling disconnected it and idled even higher plugged it back in and it went to normal idle unplugged again and it stalled instantly. Also cleaned all the connections to the crank and cam position sensors. It runs better but still quits going around right hand corners and randomly while driving straight.

January 11 2014, 5:39 PM

I've also been through three fuel pumps and it does the same thing with all of them. The original one. One that came with the replacement tank and a brand new one. Pretty sure I've ruled out fuel pump as the cause.

January 11 2014, 6:05 PM

K filled it to 3/4 tank runs amazing as soon as I turn right all power is gone . Engine just cuts out go back straight and all is well. I'd say wiring but gauges, signals wipers all still work and no check lights come on.

January 11 2014, 7:42 PM

Does it give any codes? Did you replace fuel pump strainer/filter sock?

Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

January 11 2014, 7:54 PM
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

No codes and I changed the tank it came with a pump, tank was from a wrecker but spot less. It's still doing it and then changed the pump complete unit strainer sock and all. Now that it has over half a tank it does it only turning right. Not even hard right like you even look right and it starts sputtering and cutting out. Once it gets lower on fuel it will do it all the time cars barely drivable under a quarter tank.

January 11 2014, 8:56 PM

weststar240 wrote:
No codes and I changed the tank it came with a pump, tank was from a wrecker but spot less. It's still doing it and then changed the pump complete unit strainer sock and all. Now that it has over half a tank it does it only turning right. Not even hard right like you even look right and it starts sputtering and cutting out. Once it gets lower on fuel it will do it all the time cars barely drivable under a quarter tank.

Its not the pump its self.. its a connection or a line that connects to the pump that is leaking/blowing out.. possibly.. Either that your you don't have the right sending unit/gas tank set up, or its not installed right... IT really sounds like you are getting fuel starvation..

But thats assuming you fixed the connection issue with the TPS correctly.. so that its not an issue anymore..

January 11 2014, 10:32 PM

TPS is fixed and adjusted properly to warm idle between 6 and 7 hundred rpm. I've been on google looking for other people with this problem and found a protege forum lots of ppl saying baffels inside the tank are the culprit. I know the fuel filler neck is interchangeable I was working at a mazda dealership till just recently in parts and looked up a bunch of things. I just don't see mazda (or any manufacturer) not recalling such a design flaw.

January 11 2014, 10:52 PM
Supporting Member

weststar240 wrote:
Now that it has over half a tank it does it only turning right. Not even hard right like you even look right and it starts sputtering and cutting out.

I say you only drive the car in NASCAR problem solved :roll: . :lol:

Funny because we had another member here with the same problem a coupe of years ago. Turned out it was a loose connection I think. A plug just barely on but I don't know which one. You could start checking your fuel rail plugs. Crazycanadian may be right, the wiring going to the pump may be the problem. Did you replace the entire pump assembly or just the pump itself? The wires from the pump through the top of the pump housing could be faulty/loose.

92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

January 12 2014, 3:21 PM

Fixed it. took a pair of tin shears to the box the fuel pump sits inside. Cut three slits of varying depth into either side and bent the edge of the box into a louver sort of shape on each slit, took it for a burn. Runs like a watch. I ran it right down to under an 1/8th of a tank symptoms gone completely. Kind of hokie but it worked.

Thanks for the help everyone.

January 13 2014, 2:28 AM

I like the your way to put, it took me a sec to get it but I like it.

|
boosted_bullet

93 Honda Accord LX - Wrecked
95 Honda Del Sol Si - Stolen
92 Honda Accord EX - Parted out
2000 Toyota Celica GTS - Cracked block and broken differential teeth
93 SE - ATX to MTX, work as always in progress
01 Toyota Celica GTS - DD

Worklog to be up soon, still... ...

January 13 2014, 3:04 AM
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]