Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 16 2019, 10:55 PM

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Bad head gasket...Miata head? 

Post Bad head gasket...Miata head?
Just the other day, I noticed water trickling from underneath the manifold. I checked and noticed that there is oil in the coolant. NOT GOOD.

The motor is out of an EGT with stock internals. It's completely N/A (no turbo or other mods as of yet). It's been running great for about 2 years now, and I'd like to keep it going a while longer.

Obviously, I'll be replacing the head gasket, so I figured...why not do some upgrades while I have the head off? I've seen some mention of using a Miata head on the BP, but I can't find out if it's a direct swap or not. It looks like there is some info on having to plug some oil holes to get the head to fit on a B6, but I have yet to find any in-depth information on using the head on a BP. Only that the intake manifold points the wrong way (but that problem is trivial).

My goal is to swap on a '99 Miata head when I do the head gasket (please correct me if that is the wrong year). That way, the BP will get the Miata cams, lifters, etc in the process. Anyone know if this goal is attainable? Will the entire Miata head bolt on, or will it need some midification?

June 22 2007, 6:33 PM

94-98 miata head will work on ur egt bp block u have to cap off the water neck on miata head on the cam side but ur Fwd water neck where ir belongs on the maiata head. intake manifold will bolt up and header too.

as for using the 99 head there a problem different intake bolt patttern u'll need to make a custom intake to make it work. but the head will bolt up to the block.

(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.

June 23 2007, 3:48 AM
Profile YIM

Post Thanks for the reply.
In that case I'll go with the pre-99 head. Could you possible clarify the water neck thing, though? Are you talking about the outlet for the radiator where the thermo is?

June 23 2007, 9:59 AM

thremastast on the miata head is on the cam gear said thermastat on the protege/egt head is on the dizzy side. on the fwd head the opening side on the cam gear side is sealed off. thats what im getting at u hear

(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.

June 24 2007, 2:38 AM
Profile YIM

Post Oh, I see...
Oh, I see...thanks for all the info...

June 24 2007, 10:45 PM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]