Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 19 2019, 1:52 AM

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 MX3/MIATA clutch and flywheel interchangability 

Post MX3/MIATA clutch and flywheel interchangability
Just figured I would post this so that in the future people could just search this topic. Something like this would have saved me from buying a clutch I couldn't use, so I hope it proves to be useful to someone.

I bought a fidanza 1.6L miata flywheel. This bolts onto the MX3. It does NOT bolt on to an mx3 pressure plate though (not the stock one, or a centerforce one I bought). The mx3 flywheel and miata flywheel are roughly the same size, but the locating dowels, and bolt holes are different.

The fidanza flywheel can go on to a miata pressure plate, which WILL fit in the mx3 (at least it looks like it will, I will be installing it tomorrow and will let everyone know how it goes).

So if you want a fidanza flywheel, it is my understanding that you will need a miata clutch.

You can put an mx3 friction disc on a miata pressure plate, but the disc is smaller than a miata one, so there will not be as much contact on the pressure plate...

And finally: I used a centerforce mx3 release bearing, as well as an mx3 pilot bearing.

For pictures comparing the mx3 and miata flywheel go to:
http://myhilux.myphotoalbum.com/view_ph ... d=IMGP0805

This is hard to see, but here is the MX3 clutch on the fidanza flywheel (you might be able to see that the dowels do not line up) You can zoom into the pic by clicking on it:
http://myhilux.myphotoalbum.com/view_ph ... d=IMGP0801

Hope this ends up being useful to someone

Boris

Last edited by Boris on August 17 2006, 11:58 PM, edited 1 time in total.

August 09 2006, 10:41 PM

OK the miata friction disc does NOT, I repeat does NOT WORK!! lol.

The reason is: different spline count.

So I am trying to put the mx3 disc on...

August 10 2006, 10:58 AM

OK the miata friction disc does NOT, I repeat does NOT WORK!! lol.

The reason is: different spline count.

So I am trying to put the mx3 disc on...

I was afraid that was going to happen. i had a 1.6 maita clutch the disc didn't fit on the mx-3 trans spline but it did on the maita trans spline. I guess the 1.6 and 1.8 have the same spline count. wired trial and error sucks u had to waste money find out like that. i didn't know if the miata disc was a 1.6 or 1.8 disc.

(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.

Last edited by Limegreen mx-3 on August 10 2006, 8:56 PM, edited 1 time in total.

August 10 2006, 11:57 AM
Profile YIM

ya dude, trial and error is no good lol. got an extra pressure plate and disc i can't return, but HOPEFULLY everything works once im done. Everything aligned well, but if it doesn't work, I'll be real pissed :x

August 10 2006, 1:04 PM

Maybe this should be put in the faq section?

August 12 2006, 2:00 PM

click on report so that the mod. can read it and decide if its good info. i think so.

jsut for info the 1.6 and 1.8 miata have the same spline count 22 i believe.

(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.

August 12 2006, 7:00 PM
Profile YIM

OK I just took the car for a test drive. She's runnin great! The lightened flywheel makes a big difference.

All in all, this was a pain in the a-- because I had to wait for parts, and that made the whole job take almost a week. Definitely worth it if you order all of the right parts before you start the job, which is why I posted this whole thing, so that people won't go ordering the wrong parts...

All in all I am happy I went with the fidanza!!

August 12 2006, 11:08 PM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]