Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 20 2019, 10:01 AM

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 FAQ: BPT Swap Info 

Post FAQ: BPT Swap Info
This is an email I got from Bem Ho a while back about the BPT swap into a 4cyl MX-3 [DOHC I believe]

Subject: BPT Swap Infomation
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:15:13 -0000
Hi Guys, I have recently received a couple of e-mails about the BPT engine swap. Well, here are the things that you will need.
1. Mazda BPT GTX/GTR Engine (GTR Preferable)
1a. Good ball bearing turbo (I am using T05)
2. Gearbox from 1.8L DOHC Protege (Prepared to blow 1 or 2 of this)
3. Custom C.V joint and drive shaft (Need to be strong)
4. Custom intercooler (As large as possible)
5. Custom stainless extractor with 3" mendral bend exhaust system
6. Wolf 3D ECU (It has wiring harness for this engine)
7. Electronic boost controller (HKS, Apexi, Greedy)
8. Boost, A/F, Water Temp. gauges
9. Heavy duty clutch
10. Brake enhancement (At least pads and crossed rotor for F&R)
11. Custom radiator (I cannot find anything 2nd hand fits)
12. Custom Oil and Air seperator
13. Custom Water overflow tank
14. Good dyno for tuning
15. A lot of spare time and money!!!

That's all I could think of at the moment. I have been through so much that I couldn't remember them all. However, if you are really heading out doing this, be prepare to do without your car for at least a few months. Also, I will help anyone who needs more infos when they needed, just email me with specific questions and I will answer them as detail as I could.

Happy swapping,

Bem Ho
Australia

January 07 2002, 2:39 AM
Profile ICQ WWW

Post Re: FAQ: BPT Swap Info
Originally posted by cre8v mx3:
BPT swap into a DOHC MX-3
Items Needed:
BPT motor
upgraded clutch(ACT)
intercooler
bov
misc. hoses(master cylinder, waste-gate, bov)

90-94 Mazda Protege LX(DOHC) items needed:
transmission
transmission mounts and brackets
flywheel
drive-shafts
jack-shaft
pilot bearing
throw-out bearing

Suggested Items:
new belts(timing, alternator, power-steering-a/c)
new spark plugs and wires
fuel filter
oil filter
new motor mounts
reprogrammed ecu
upgraded fuel pump
boost gauge
a/f gauge
egt gauge

Preparation:
you want to start by putting the car up on jack-stands. disconnect/remove all of the intake piping. remove the battery. drain all the fluids(motor oil, tranny oil, anti-freeze). disconnect all the hoses/pipes (radiator inlet/outlet, heater hoses going into the firewall, a/c lines, power-steering lines, slave cylinder line, fuel lines)

once all that is done, you can start disconnecting electrical connections. it's best to leave the fuel injector harness on until later. un-bolt the brace on the back of the motor to allow access to the starter.
disconnect it and pull it out.

take your wheels off and remove the hub bolt. take your brake pads out and un-bolt your caliper. don't disconnect the brake line, just hang the caliper up on a coil of
your spring with a rope or coat hanger. un-bolt the spindle. there are three bolts; two on the back and one underneath on the ball joint. do this on both sides. the easiest way to get the passenger side drive-shaft out is to un-bolt the jack-shaft bracket on the back of the motor and pull out the whole assembly. then take out the driver side drive-shaft. get under the car and loosen the two transmission mount(front and back mounts) bolts coming through the bottom brace. there are two bolts for each mount. while you're down there, undo the shifter
linkage and the stabilizer bar, as well as the down pipe off the exhaust manifold. then loosen the two side mounts. get an engine hoist and secure the motor. once the motor is supported, you can remove the motor mounts. if you don't take the front mount all the way off, you might have some clearance issues when it comes time to pull the motor out. if you have someone that can hold the hood up, taking it off is not needed. once you have the motor/tranny out you can replace the belts, gaskets, oil filter, and the fuel filter(on firewall).

replace the pilot bearing and throw-out bearing in your tranny/flywheel. mount your clutch(make sure you have an alignment tool) and tighten down your pressure plate. bolt the tranny up to the motor.

put the motor in the same way you took it out. once you have all the mounts bolted down you can get rid of the engine hoist. now it's time to put things back. if you haven't already, put the starter back in and bolt it up. reconnect all the hoses and lines. the master cylinder port is on the other side of the intake manifold so you need a longer hose to route it. one of the heater hoses will need to be re-routed to the back of the motor because the bpt has an oil cooler on it. some electrical connections on the bpt won't be used. there's one on the back of the motor and one on the side. reconnect all the connections you can. the water temp sensor needs to be replaced with the mx-3 one(it screws out). you'll need to use the mx-3 tps and distributor. the idle control valve has to have the bpt plug so you'll have to cut off the mx-3 one and splice on the bpt one. this should have covered most of the electrical part. remove the injector harness from the bpt. get the mx-3 harness and put it on the bpt. there are two valves connected to the mx-3 fuel pressure regulator. those are the prc and prc #2. take those off with the harness if you can. the bpt has one of those valves on the distributor side of the valve cover. you can take that off. route the vac lines to the other side by the fuel pressure regulator. you should have all the vac line you need between the bpt and the mx-3. splice the two valves vac lines that go to the fuel pressure regulator together so they only have one line because the bpt fuel pressure reg only has one vac port. this should leave you with two extra harness clips. one in the injector harness for the egr and the other by the throttle body for the vics.

now bolt the jack-shaft to the back of the motor. put in your drive-shafts. mount your spindles, calipers, and brake pads. put your hub bolt back on. put your wheels back on.

fill the car up with fluids(anti-freeze/water, power-steering fluid, brake/clutch fluid, motor and tranny oil)

what you do about the i/c piping and exhaust is up to you. i removed my cat and ran a straight pipe.

Issues:
you may need a different speedo gear. the mx-3 gear is electronicly driven and the pro lx is cable. the mx-3 gear is too long to work with the pro tranny. you can get a gear from a mx-6 from 93+. just compare to make sure it will work.

if you take out your a/c, you can get a power-steering belt for the non-a/c protege.

the rear tranny mount bolt interferes with the shifter linkage. i had to cut the excess bolt after the nut to get it to fit. if you do this, i suggest doing it while the motor is out of the car.

the idle control hose and the waste-gate hose need to be fitted to the intake pipe. the bov line can connect to the back of the intake manifold.

if i have forgotten anything or you have any questions...let me know.

May 01 2002, 7:43 PM
Profile ICQ WWW

Originally posted by natural born honda killer:
This is all from CorkSport. Prices are subject to change. (USD)
BPT from a 1990-94 Protege $990.00

1990-94 Protege DOHC 5-Speed transmission, flywheel, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, motor mounts. $666.00

RX-7 2nd generation fuel pump
Available from your local Autozone $117.00

Original MX-3 ECU reprogrammed with the BPT engine fuel maps etc. Available at CorkSport $279.00

Turbo XS type H BOV $150.00

A/F and boost gauge $90.00 for both

Total install price will be about $1100-$1200

Shipping $200.00

Protege TPS plug (I had to switch to the TPS plug because I have the 4 wire but the plugs arent the same size. One is bigger than the other but not by much.)

Be prepared to take a lot of time tryin to find a shop to put it in. Thats about the hardest part.

Hopefully I'll have more notes about the install itself as I am picking it up in a few days and can ask them what the problem spots are. I do know that the hub tends to seize up on one of the sides so be prepared to work with that. It's a pain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 01 2002, 7:44 PM
Profile ICQ WWW

corksport is now working on a way to use the GTX ecu with the mx-3. <BR>you also have the option of a stand alone engine management system.

'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics

September 02 2002, 10:23 AM
Site Administrator

January 16 2006, 1:41 PM
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]