Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 05 2019, 9:09 PM

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 What type of tires to get for track? 

Post What type of tires to get for track?
So there are two ways to add grip - more rubber or stickier rubber.

I've been contemplating getting DOT competition R compound tires for a while, but the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards wider high performance street tires. Few reasons for that. First of all, competition tires cost twice as much as street tires. For example Hoosier R6s are $200 each plus extra for the heat cycling, while Hankook RS2s are only $100 each. That's a hefty difference. Another reason is R compounds aren't streetable, so I'd have to haul them to the track, then mount them, then dismount them, then haul them home, all of which is PITA. Plus if it rains, I can't really use them, and would have to run on my street tires anyway.

The size I'm aiming for 225/50 - 15, so I think if I get high performance street tires, I should be good. Right now I'm running 205/55 - 15 street tires and it's not bad, and if I were going to go with R compound, I'd probably stick with 205/55.

Now, the ultimate question is, would 205/55 DOT competition tires grip better than 225/50 highest performance street tires?

April 16 2008, 7:45 PM

Post Re: What type of tires to get for track?
well i dont know if your competeing or just out there for fun but if u want a true R compound get michellin pilots and you'll stick like glue but you will also be in a class with much faster cars and not to mention i think there around $250 each. Personaly what i ride on is falken azenis 205/50/15 and for $80 each there isnt a better tire for the money but they suck in the rain . for daily i have 205/50/15 falken ziex 512 and therea really good all around tire. Great in rain and i can still hold my own around turns. And really for road race/ autocross 225/50 isnt good on a 6.5in wheel but on a 7.5in wheel its perfect no flex but you will also need spacers. what im saying is if u want to go wider which is great you will need a wider rim to compensate for side wall flex. IMO im running 11lb 15in by 6.5in wheels with a 205/50/15 tire and i believe they match up very nice together.

April 17 2008, 2:08 PM

Post Re: What type of tires to get for track?
Right now I'm running 15x6.5 with 205/55 BF Goodrich T/A KDWs and they're insanely grippy for a street tire with good wet traction, and I'd get them again, if I could find them wider. I hear Hankooks are really good too, so I want to try them.

I'm definitely gonna pick up 7.5 wide wheels for wider tires. Don't need spacers, if I get the right offset.

Not really looking for competition performance. Just want to have a bit better grip for lapping days.

April 17 2008, 7:45 PM
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]