Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 13 2019, 6:30 AM

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Old & New 

Post Old & New
In my introduction I talked about my old mx3, and how I obtained my new one... Well here's the pictures of both that I have...

And here's my current one, the one I posted that wasn't running currently... :cry:

A summary of the accident:
A two lane road, speed limit 50, I was following a car doing 35.. There are dotted lines right before a hill, the car was a pontiac for what I remember, I went to pass it, the car sped up so it took me longer to pass, I was going about 65 when I got back into my lane, was just drifting to slow down, went over the hill, and there was a stopped white escalade on the other side.... There was nothing I could do...

I miss that car... It saved my life... :crying: :D

(the date on the camera is wrong btw, lol, the accident was 6-18-08, the pictures were taken about 4 days later..)

March 14 2011, 2:56 PM

Post Re: Old & New
Wow, glad your ok and welcome to mx-3.com.

March 14 2011, 6:02 PM
Supporting Member

One more example of why we should ZE or BP Turbo our cars. Acceleration is our friend. :D Welcome

92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

March 14 2011, 6:06 PM

Speed kills, acceleration saves! Its a tricky thing to master the balance :P

Glad you're okay, but I hope you don't try passing over a hill again... even if the line is dotted and you're technically allowed to.

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

March 14 2011, 6:14 PM

Haha, when it comes to anything other than the basics, I'm afraid I lack that experience lol, but thanks guys... Quick question, in everyones signature it lists current cars, old cars, etc. Those are all your past cars I assume? (got intrigued) :D

Just out of random curiosity as well... If you all had a choice as to which you would use for parts: A 4 cylinder, or the V6, the 4 cyl you owned, and the V6 you obtained knowing the driver of it dogged the crap out of it... which would you choose to work on, and which for parts? And how much of either could you use on both?

March 14 2011, 8:04 PM

Hmmm.... big question. I like my v6 but that is because I always owned probe gt's before. :shrug: The GS car has some "goodies" over the 4cyl: rear rotors, Lip, Leather sometimes.....

March 14 2011, 8:46 PM

Having owned both, and swapped both, I'd say it still depends.

v6 is the way if you love power, but it has problems, everything is more expensive, and it isn't as fuel friendly.

the 4 cyl is easy as cake though, to work on, to maintain, and to repair, not that it ever really needs repairs anyway.

4 cyl needs boost to even touch a KLDE MX-3 (~$400 swap)

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

March 14 2011, 11:17 PM

it looks like mine

92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com

March 17 2011, 10:03 PM
Profile WWW

Hey born, it's been awhile and I was looking over past posts and just saw your reply... Did that total it? or do you still have it?

As you stated Ryan, which helped alot... I kept the 4cyl. and I haven't had to change much of anything other than routine maintenance, though of course, I'm on here now for my next adventure.. :D

Ryan wrote:
Having owned both, and swapped both, I'd say it still depends.

v6 is the way if you love power, but it has problems, everything is more expensive, and it isn't as fuel friendly.

the 4 cyl is easy as cake though, to work on, to maintain, and to repair, not that it ever really needs repairs anyway.

4 cyl needs boost to even touch a KLDE MX-3 (~$400 swap)

Since I'm still a noob at this... A KLDE = engine?

And while I'm on that subject: I have a friend who's a mechanic, and turbo'd his Mr2? <-- Believe that's the right car... During the discussion he tells me that a turbo doesn't actually hurt gas milage, it's actually using the fuel more efficiently... It's just that almost anyone with a turbo never accelerates without passion in it which brings it down... is this a true statement? Or should I ignore this guy and stick with just listening to you all? lol

August 26 2012, 9:07 AM
Supporting Member

Shadow, your friend is pretty spot on with that statement.

Economic driving + Turbo = improved economy(all other things equal of course).

Show me anyone with a boosted car that drives economically all the time though... :freak:

'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL, 67mm TB, MegaSquirt, Coilpacks, 5 lugs, Speed6 brakes, FD wheels, wiretuck, progressive coilovers, shorty headers w/ custom collector, AEM WB, 2.5" straight, Borla XS
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

August 26 2012, 7:24 PM
Supporting Member

saying a turbo increases economy isn't the best way to describe it.

A turbo is a efficient way of creating horsepower. If you compare large displacement vs small displacement with forced induction, it's possible that yes, you can get better economy out of that method.

That's why for example the fiesta will be equipped with a 3 cylinder turbocharged engine in the future and still get the same economy as the 4 cylinder version, while also producing more horsepower than the 4cylinder version.

But if you take a natuarlly aspirated engine and ADD a turbo to it, no it's not going to increase your economy. it will efficiently create MORE horsepower.

She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

August 26 2012, 9:48 PM

SuperK wrote:
But if you take a natuarlly aspirated engine and ADD a turbo to it, no it's not going to increase your economy. it will efficiently create MORE horsepower.

Indeed! That being the case, many turbocharged cars would list as having better fuel economy than their N/A counterpart, which they don't. Even the Speed3 using the smaller 2.3L compared to the GT's 2.5, and the Cobalt SS's 2.0L compared to the 2.2L, they still have lower MPG ratings. The only one I've seen that claims no sacrifice in MPG is the Fiat 500 Abarth, but it's still not an improvement

Some people claim to see an increase in fuel economy. Some claim better fuel atomization, but typically the fuel mileage increase from tuning rather than the turbo

2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

August 27 2012, 1:06 PM
Profile ICQ WWW
Supporting Member

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Some people claim to see an increase in fuel economy. Some claim better fuel atomization, but typically the fuel mileage increase from tuning rather than the turbo

Now THIS, I could see as being the root cause. Should've thought about that!

'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL, 67mm TB, MegaSquirt, Coilpacks, 5 lugs, Speed6 brakes, FD wheels, wiretuck, progressive coilovers, shorty headers w/ custom collector, AEM WB, 2.5" straight, Borla XS
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

August 27 2012, 7:04 PM
Supporting Member

I would say the "root cause" is people's imagination.

that and they don't have to lead-foot the gas pedal as often to drive like maniacs.

Top Gear raced a Prius around their track. Following hte prius they had a V8 supercharged car (don't remember what it was) following the prius.

The V8 got better milage.
But that doesn't make the V8 more economical, just the vehicle operator stupider. You don't buy priuses to drive crazy, and you don't buy turbos for fuel economy.

She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

August 27 2012, 8:19 PM

Don't just say it, link it!
(This is the Internet afterall!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmxUsGiGp3w

2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

August 27 2012, 8:29 PM
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next