Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 15 2019, 7:49 PM

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Lightweight 15" Wheel List 

Post Lightweight 15" Wheel List
Hey Guys,

I’ve always been interested in lightweight 15” rims so I decided to make a list to be helpful to anybody who might be looking for a set of lightweight 15” rims. The idea of this list is to come up with as many lightweight rims as possible that all weight equal to or less than the stock 15” rims, which I believe weight 14lbs each? And so far I’ve listed everything I’ve found below.

Manufacturer: Enkei
Wheel Name: RPF1
Color: SBC, Gold, F1 Silver
Bolt Pattern: 4x100
Size: 15x7
Offset: 35 / 41
Weight: 10lbs

Manufacturer: Motegi Racing
Wheel Name: Track Lite
Color: Gun Metal, Flat Black, Gun Metal w/Polished Lip
Size: 15x6.5 / 15x7
Offset: 35 / 35
Weight: 10lbs / 10.5lbs

Manufacturer: Motegi Racing
Wheel Name: Track Lite 2
Color: Silver, Glossy Black w/Polished Lip
Offset: 35
Weight: 10.5lbs

Manufacturer: OZ Racing
Wheel Name: Superleggera
Color: Race Silver, Gold
Offset: 37
Weight: 10.8

Manufacturer: Kosei
Wheel Name: K1-Racing TS
Color: Street Silver, Street Gold, Fine Silver. Neon Orange
Offset: 38
Weight: 10.8lbs

Manufacturer: 5Zigen USA
Wheel Name: FN01R
Color: White, Matt Black
Offset: 35 / 42
Weight: 11lbs

Manufacturer: Konig
Wheel Name: Helium
Color: Silver, Bronze
Size: 15x6.5
Offset: 40
Weight: 11lbs

Manufacturer: Rota
Wheel Name: Slipstream
Color: Steel Grey, Gun Metal w/Polished Lip, Black, Bronze, White
Size: 15x6.5 / 15x7
Offset: 40
Weight: 12lbs / 13lbs

Manufacturer: BSA
Wheel Name: 303
Color: Silver, Bright Silver
Offset: 35/40
Weight: 12lbs

Manufacturer: Lenso Wheels
Wheel Name: VPD
Color: Silver
Offset: 38
Weight: 13.1lbs

Manufacturer: Kosei
Wheel Name: K1-Racing (non-ts version)
Color: Silver, White, Anthracite
Offset: ??
Weight: 13.5lbs

Manufacturer: 5Zigen USA
Wheel Name: FN01R-C
Color: Silver, Hyper Black, Bronze, Black w/Polished Lip
Offset: 33 / 42
Weight: 14lbs

This is everything I have so far. Feel free to correct anything and more importantly help ADD some more wheels to this list! I will also find pictures later to add to this post so everyone knows what they look like. I’ll try to add the offsets and wheel finishes also. But for now I’m just getting the basis’s of the list done.

Last edited by Neil on July 12 2005, 7:36 PM, edited 5 times in total.

July 11 2005, 12:52 PM
Profile WWW

I'm a 2min man in a 1min universe

94 GS - KLZE, Spec2 Clutch, Fidanza 9lbs FW, 2 1/4 full magnaflow exhaust. 145WHP / 147WTQ

July 11 2005, 1:15 PM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

July 11 2005, 1:37 PM
Profile WWW

Lenso VPD is also a lightweight wheel. Pretty cheap too.

http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/220

July 11 2005, 2:36 PM
Profile WWW

Lenso VPD is also a lightweight wheel. Pretty cheap too.

http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/220

Added it to the list. Thanks :)

July 11 2005, 3:55 PM
Profile WWW

Try to get 15x7's, they will make a hell of a diff b/c of their width.

Any aftermarket 15x6 shouldn't even be considered b/c its the same size as stock. 6.5's will be somewhat noticeable, but x7's will make a hella diff.

And I have one to add to it (well two maybe):

KOSEI K1's! They are the autoxers dream! Inexpensive and very lightweight.

There are two variations, one has 6 thin spokes (it is the older model) the new model (the K1 TS) has 6 dual-spokes and comes in bright-ass orange or silver/white.

The older K1's weigh 12.25 lbs. THe new K1 TS's ones weigh 10.4lbs! And are pretty inexpensive!

Another wheel is the SSR Competitions. They weigh friggin 9.7 lbs but are pretty expensive.

July 11 2005, 6:46 PM
Profile WWW

Pic of the kosei K1 TS (the newer model):

yes you can get it in silver or white too...orange just kicks a-- though (come on! admit it!)

July 11 2005, 6:52 PM
Profile WWW

BTW: for anyone reading....getting lightweight 15's would be a performance upgrade to your car in numerous ways. and is WELL WORTH THE MONEY!

I still laugh at people talking about putting 18's or 19's on their mx3. They are destroying their performance by putting those wehels. Hell, I laugh at my n00blet self when I remember having 17x7's on my Protege that weighed about 44 lbs with tires EACH.

STOCK 15x6 with tires weigh about 37.5 lbs.

Putting some lightweight 15's with tires will weigh approx 28-31 lbs depending on the weight of the tire (azenis are heavy, toyos are lighter).

You are reducing your cars weight by a decent 30-25 lbs by getting these light wheels, but before shruggin that off. IT IS UNSPRUNG WEIGHT! Its like shaving 7 lbs off your flywheel. Wheels will have a similar effect.

-Increased acceleration
-Increased braking (easier to stop a light wheel eh?)
-Better corner (wider wheels = better handling + the fact they are less unsprung weight always = aweosmer handling)

So yeah...the performance benefits are better IMO than that of a KLZE engine swap. Maybe i'm crazy, but having a decent diff in accel/braking/handling and reducing the weight all at once for 800-900 dollars isn't bad at all.

July 11 2005, 6:56 PM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

Agreed. I noticed a huge improvement going from the stock-option 14 X 5.5 alloys to 15x 6.5 Konig Heliums. Added ~1.5" of treadwidth per wheel footprint and simultaneously reduced 1.5 -2 Lbs of unsprung weight PER wheel. Outstanding improvement.

July 11 2005, 7:33 PM

BTW: for anyone reading....getting lightweight 15's would be a performance upgrade to your car in numerous ways. and is WELL WORTH THE MONEY!

I still laugh at people talking about putting 18's or 19's on their mx3. They are destroying their performance by putting those wehels. Hell, I laugh at my n00blet self when I remember having 17x7's on my Protege that weighed about 44 lbs with tires EACH.

STOCK 15x6 with tires weigh about 37.5 lbs.

Putting some lightweight 15's with tires will weigh approx 28-31 lbs depending on the weight of the tire (azenis are heavy, toyos are lighter).

You are reducing your cars weight by a decent 30-25 lbs by getting these light wheels, but before shruggin that off. IT IS UNSPRUNG WEIGHT! Its like shaving 7 lbs off your flywheel. Wheels will have a similar effect.

-Increased acceleration
-Increased braking (easier to stop a light wheel eh?)
-Better corner (wider wheels = better handling + the fact they are less unsprung weight always = aweosmer handling)

So yeah...the performance benefits are better IMO than that of a KLZE engine swap. Maybe i'm crazy, but having a decent diff in accel/braking/handling and reducing the weight all at once for 800-900 dollars isn't bad at all.

Updated. Thanks Gro!

July 11 2005, 7:33 PM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

btw, Goodwin Racing has several of the wheels on Neil's list at pretty good prices. That's who I bought my Helium's from (Pd. $95 ea. USD w/Ctr Caps) and they are good ppl to deal with. They also carry the Rota Slipstream and Kosei K1-TS and Enkei RPF1, SSR Comps, and some others that are not on Neils list but are sold as lightweight racing wheels for the Miata (which is a match fit to the MX-3) http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda/mi ... ame=Wheels

July 11 2005, 7:46 PM

the ssr competitions are the lightest wheels I could find & someone's selling a set for 1200 w/tires (a good a-- price). Too bad the tire sizesa re kinda whack compared to our stock size

July 11 2005, 7:54 PM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

FWIW, I shoulda added that I've read some pretty nasty Web reviews of the SSR from ppl who've ruined one by hitting only a sm/med. pothole and dented/ruined the 15" SSR rim. I recall seeing ~1/2 dozen of these negative SSR owner reviews when I was wheel shopping. SSR replacements are expensive and in every case, the P.O.'d owner felt reasonably sure that most other 15" alloys would have held up... maybe there is a tradeoff when you go that light? :shrug:

July 11 2005, 8:51 PM
Supporting Member

well I have the rpf1's and love them also they weigh in at 9.5lbs not 10 but hey it's close the only downside to them is they don't have center caps, but they were well worth the money

July 14 2005, 1:41 AM

FWIW, I shoulda added that I've read some pretty nasty Web reviews of the SSR from ppl who've ruined one by hitting only a sm/med. pothole and dented/ruined the 15" SSR rim. I recall seeing ~1/2 dozen of these negative SSR owner reviews when I was wheel shopping. SSR replacements are expensive and in every case, the P.O.'d owner felt reasonably sure that most other 15" alloys would have held up... maybe there is a tradeoff when you go that light?

I am the owner of SSR 16" integral wheels, which are now discontinued. I have hit some pretty nasty potholes with them without any noticable damage. They have been on the car for the past 3 summers, and get stored when the snows go on. SSR wheels are forged, so they are strong and lightweight. This is what makes them expensive. The other big brand of wheels that no one has mentioned yet, are the king of the light weights, Volk Racing. They also make forged wheels (not all models?) which are very expensive. There are issues in going to a light weight cast wheel, because you are trading strength for weight. I believe older TSW had a reputation for being light but not very strong. So if you can afford them a forged wheel will give you the benefits of strength and light weight.

July 14 2005, 2:40 AM
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next