Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 13 2019, 5:21 AM

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Question about K8+m62 eaton clutched 

Post Re: Question about K8+m62 eaton clutched
Is supercharging all that hard? Is there any semi bolt up kits? can someone maybe point me in the direction on the forum. I tried to search with no results. I want to supercharge my K8 experiment on it and see how to do it right then swap it to a DE once it blows. Unless i found a ZE in good condition i would go N/A :shrug:

August 26 2012, 10:41 AM
Profile YIM
Supporting Member

Honestly, I was thinking about this too! It'd be fun, and you could maintain awesome fuel economy.

Off topic, I'm 1/4 Portuguese everybody. :D Just figured I'd throw that out there, I sadly don't speak the language...

'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL, 67mm TB, MegaSquirt, Coilpacks, 5 lugs, Speed6 brakes, FD wheels, wiretuck, progressive coilovers, shorty headers w/ custom collector, AEM WB, 2.5" straight, Borla XS
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

August 26 2012, 7:20 PM
Supporting Member

this is the best thing you have at this point on MX-3.com http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=74974

try searching probetalk there have been many who have done this swap.

thinking about it one could rig it up to the AC button :)

Researching this SC engagement off of the clutched SC tends to be really harsh on internals of the engine and many say its just as harsh if not more so than NOS because it is dragging off of the crank at the same time. I was thinking of rigging up some kind of module for it to turn on and off at specified RPM's. But if you mount it and run it through a IC you only see about 3lbs of boost. With porting the SC out and a few other mods you can get it to about 5-6 which is a bit better. I almost feel it is easier to just turbo it :)

05' MS RX-8 - Parted out and Sold :'(
Feedback - http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=49519
Cardomain Page - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/408020
Face Book page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mazda-MX-3-Owners-Enthusiast/137983472959216

August 31 2012, 11:19 AM
Profile WWW

Josh wrote:
I was thinking of rigging up some kind of module for it to turn on and off at specified RPM's.

MSD Window Switch like people used to do for their VRIS back in the day?

2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

September 02 2012, 11:29 AM
Profile ICQ WWW
Supporting Member

Honestly, why not wire it up so you can engage/disengage the clutch while the engine is off...? That saves your internals, at the cost of a slight inconvenience when you want that power.

'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL, 67mm TB, MegaSquirt, Coilpacks, 5 lugs, Speed6 brakes, FD wheels, wiretuck, progressive coilovers, shorty headers w/ custom collector, AEM WB, 2.5" straight, Borla XS

September 02 2012, 9:21 PM

Clutching a Roots supercharger shouldn't be harsh. Really, it should be easier and smoother than your A/C clutch.

A Roots-style supercharger is suppose to have a bypass valve which opens and closes with the vacuum of the motor. Remember, my Xterra is Supercharged running an M62 (but no clutch). The harder you are on the throttle, the more it closes, the more boost you get. When the bypass is open, no air get compressed and just recirculates. As the bypass is closed, more air get compressed. Fully closed, you get all your boost. Roots blowers are typically installed where it replaces your intake manifold, so the bypass is needed to prevent cavitation; a condition where the supercharger is trying to compress air that's not there because the throttle body is closed.

Unless you engage the clutch while your full throttle is really the only time I would consider it a harsh engagement. Otherwise it's just engaging a clutch that's spinning 2 impellars in open air. Your A/C compressor has to, well compress refrigerant...

2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar

September 04 2012, 10:01 AM
Profile ICQ WWW
Supporting Member

Not quite the M62 that they are using do not have that bypass valve. it is a clutched pulley, the impellers do not spin until the clutch engages the pulley. I was reading about it on some Mercedes and BMW forums about the engagement being harsh and taking out bottom ends. I have never heard of this issue with a K series motor. My wife has a Kompressor C230 and reading on that a bit it seems that they engage quite early in the RPM range like 25-2800 RPMs.

Blake the reason not to have it engaged the entire time is fuel economy.

Later on when I decide what I am going to do with the GS. If I go SC I will use a M62 unclutched and then install a bypass valve much like an OE M62 off of a Colbalt SS. This will be just like an internal waist gate on a turbo setup. the value is not getting boost at idle or cruising speeds.

05' MS RX-8 - Parted out and Sold :'(
Feedback - http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=49519
Cardomain Page - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/408020
Face Book page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mazda-MX-3-Owners-Enthusiast/137983472959216

September 04 2012, 12:19 PM
Profile WWW

Josh wrote:
Not quite the M62 that they are using do not have that bypass valve. it is a clutched pulley, the impellers do not spin until the clutch engages the pulley. I was reading about it on some Mercedes and BMW forums about the engagement being harsh and taking out bottom ends. I have never heard of this issue with a K series motor. My wife has a Kompressor C230 and reading on that a bit it seems that they engage quite early in the RPM range like 25-2800 RPMs..

Pending the ratio between the crank pulley and the S/C pulley, on my truck, I'm full boost at around 2500 (redline at 5900). If your going from "Off" to "On w/Compression" make make 6psi, ya, I could see that being harsh. "400cfm@5psi(12krpm) on an M62 requires about 15 HP to pump". The trick would be to engage it, as I said, not when your full throttle, even with a bypass valve, it's the shock of the load on the system. Would be neat to integrate the S/C switch to allow it only to be turned on with the clutch pressed in and/or the Neutral switch on the trans activated as a safeguard, but really, one should be able to know and be responsible with their own car. Don't treat it like NAWS if you're losing a race and half way in you figured you need it to win, nor attach it to a throttle controlled switch (again, as they do with nitrous systems), and you'll be fine.

A bypass valve would really be required if you wanted to turn it on even cruising on the highway, cause you could let off the throttle, it opens the bypass, turns on the clutch, S/C engages while it's free-spooling (no compression happening thanks to the bypass valve), than go back on the throttle for your boost. Otherwise, with no bypass, you turn it on while cruising on the highway, way 4000rpms@120km/h, and even if you let off the throttle, you'll still have the RPMS there to create boost with no bypass to vent the system.

I've done some minimal tested and tied the bypass open to see if it makes a difference in mileage with the S/C "off" (the impellars would be spinning, but no compression would happen, so a minimal load on the motor) with no discernible difference.

September 04 2012, 1:05 PM
Profile ICQ WWW
Supporting Member

Josh, I meant having a switch to engage/disengage the clutch while the engine is off, or at idle.

Then you manually engage it when you need the power, say to race! Is there any reason that wouldn't work?

September 05 2012, 4:30 AM

MrMazda92 wrote:
Josh, I meant having a switch to engage/disengage the clutch while the engine is off, or at idle.

Then you manually engage it when you need the power, say to race! Is there any reason that wouldn't work?

Josh wrote:
I was reading about it on some Mercedes and BMW forums about the engagement being harsh and taking out bottom ends.

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Unless you engage the clutch while your full throttle is really the only time I would consider it a harsh engagement. Otherwise it's just engaging a clutch that's spinning 2 impellars in open air.

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
The trick would be to engage it, as I said, not when your full throttle, even with a bypass valve, it's the shock of the load on the system. Would be neat to integrate the S/C switch to allow it only to be turned on with the clutch pressed in and/or the Neutral switch on the trans activated as a safeguard, but really, one should be able to know and be responsible with their own car. Don't treat it like NAWS if you're losing a race and half way in you figured you need it to win, nor attach it to a throttle controlled switch (again, as they do with nitrous systems), and you'll be fine.

A bypass valve would really be required if you wanted to turn it on even cruising on the highway, cause you could let off the throttle, it opens the bypass, turns on the clutch, S/C engages while it's free-spooling (no compression happening thanks to the bypass valve), than go back on the throttle for your boost. Otherwise, with no bypass, you turn it on while cruising on the highway, way 4000rpms@120km/h, and even if you let off the throttle, you'll still have the RPMS there to create boost with no bypass to vent the system.

September 05 2012, 8:46 AM
Profile ICQ WWW
Supporting Member

Over complicated solution, honestly... Enable it when you'll be driving fast, don't when you'll be driving for economy. A simple toggle switch would be cheap, easy to install cleanly, and easy to diagnose if something failed.

September 08 2012, 7:22 PM

Josh wrote:
this is the best thing you have at this point on MX-3.com http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=74974

Don't forget Marco's mx3.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=65897

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click

September 09 2012, 5:12 AM
Profile WWW

Screw that, send some of those goodies out west! They may be rareish over there, but here, we didn't get it at all! For the little of those parts coming over here is only a drop in the bucket for what is available over there, rare or not. It's nota common occurence considering how typically expensive it is to send parts, especially large ones, this way...

September 09 2012, 10:47 PM
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2