Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently February 18 2020, 12:25 PM

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Sticky TB 
Forum Moderator

Post Sticky TB
It seems that my TB is hanging up or sticking for some reason. I've also noticed that when the engine is completely warmed up the amount of slack in the throttle cable that is present when it is cold is almost completely gone. I've since re-adjusted the throttle cable when it was warm so there's adequate slack. Since doing that I still have the TB sticking/hanging up. In other words it hangs up and stays at a higher rpm. If I snap the throttle cable hard and let it return hard it usually will return to a normal idle at 700rpm. Other times not. When it does hang up, I can just push slightly on the throttle lever and that seems to return the idle to normal. I've tried a search but couldn't find where I believe that someone mentioned about twisting the return spring one complete turn to make the tension stronger to make the throttle lever return to the complete closed position. Is this possible? Has anyone done this adjustment to their return spring? Of course we're talking about the KL68 TB where there is 2 throttle lever.

As a side note I went to the local Mazda asking similar questions to one of their main mechanics. His response was that he didn't know, he's never done it before and as a matter of fact, he's never done a TPS adjustment before either. Needless to say, they didn't even want to touch my car. Heaven forbid if any body takes their car outside of the rhealm of "stock".

May 30 2005, 10:51 PM
Profile YIM
Supporting Member

John.. any chance you can get me a pic of that double cam assembly on the side of your TB?

Tunes67

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

May 30 2005, 11:03 PM
Profile YIM

Post Re: Sticky TB
jschrauwen wrote:
As a side note I went to the local Mazda asking similar questions to one of their main mechanics. His response was that he didn't know, he's never done it before and as a matter of fact, he's never done a TPS adjustment before either. Needless to say, they didn't even want to touch my car. Heaven forbid if any body takes their car outside of the rhealm of "stock".

Dear god, I wonder if they have a hard time adjusting the TPS on a Millenia, 626 or Mx-6. :?

2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

May 31 2005, 7:49 AM
Profile ICQ WWW
Supporting Member

I get that too on hot days, revs stay up at around 1200 till i tap the gas pedal and it drops to 600.

I figured there was crap built up in the TBmaking it stick.

May 31 2005, 10:56 AM

yea.... I was having that issue as well. I would be driving then stop at a light and it would stick at 1100, then give it some gas or wait abit and it would drop to 600 or w.e I cleaned out the TB and played with the cable abit and it stopped sticking..for now.

May 31 2005, 12:23 PM
Forum Moderator

Post Re: Sticky TB
Nd4SpdSe wrote:
jschrauwen wrote:

Dear god, I wonder if they have a hard time adjusting the TPS on a Millenia, 626 or Mx-6. :?

I should qualify/clarify that they were willing to do a TPS adjust on cars with OBD II.

Tunes67 wrote:
John.. any chance you can get me a pic of that double cam assembly on the side of your TB?
Tunes67

I'd love to as soon as I get the time to sort out my digi's software issues. But thanks Eric.

solo_ryder wrote:
yea.... I was having that issue as well. I would be driving then stop at a light and it would stick at 1100, then give it some gas or wait abit and it would drop to 600 or w.e I cleaned out the TB and played with the cable abit and it stopped sticking..for now.

So did you find a similar situation where the throttle cable appears to have no free-play what-so-ever when the engine is hot but appears to have plenty when it is cold? When you played with the cable, do you mean you gave it additional free-play when the engine is hot?

May 31 2005, 5:56 PM
Profile YIM

Sounds like a common problem. I have had to clean out the TB a few times over the years I have had mine. Its doing it again now with the sticking at high RPM thing. I may have to clean it out again right away. I think in my case the K&N filter oil may be a contributor to the problem. :lol:

Green means "Go", Yellow means, "Go Faster"!!

May 31 2005, 6:31 PM
Forum Moderator

TB was completely overhauled a month ago - clean as a whistle, still!!
Anyone done the throttle lever return spring where they increased the tension by one complete turn? Will the spring even go one complete turn?

May 31 2005, 7:02 PM
Profile YIM
Supporting Member

I could try it on the K8 TB I have at home later on if you want John.. are they even remotely similar?

Tunes67

May 31 2005, 7:06 PM
Profile YIM
Supporting Member

Oh and if you want.. I can teach you a short cut with your Digital Camera.. you dont need to install the software that came with the camera in order to access the pictures you take with the camera... Would take me less than 2 minutes to walk you through it if you want man. Did you see the pics I posted up in the General Mazda MX-3 forum for the ground cables? I used a little 3.2 Megapixel Olympus Digi cam that I borrowed from work. (I must say I was really impressed with the clarity of the pics too) And I didnt install any software to get the pics from the cam to my PC. :) Let me know if you would like a hand man :)

Tunes67

May 31 2005, 7:09 PM
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator

Oh and if you want.. I can teach you a short cut with your Digital Camera.. you dont need to install the software that came with the camera in order to access the pictures you take with the camera... Would take me less than 2 minutes to walk you through it if you want man. Did you see the pics I posted up in the General Mazda MX-3 forum for the ground cables? I used a little 3.2 Megapixel Olympus Digi cam that I borrowed from work. (I must say I was really impressed with the clarity of the pics too) And I didnt install any software to get the pics from the cam to my PC. :) Let me know if you would like a hand man :)
Tunes67

Perhaps we can give the software thing a shot on the weekend Eric??

I'm almost certain that someone here had posted that they wound the return spring on the throttle lever one extra turn but not 100% sure.

May 31 2005, 10:09 PM
Profile YIM
Supporting Member

No sweat John.. I have both Saturday & Sunday or even Friday night available.. its not like I date or have a GF demanding attention ;) Wait.. I should be sad about that right? :crying: :( There thats better ;) LOL

Tunes67

May 31 2005, 11:09 PM
Profile YIM
Forum Moderator

:bump: for someone who knows of or has tried to improve the return spring tension on the KL68 TB lever(s).

June 03 2005, 11:59 AM
Profile YIM

What you can do is go to Home Depot and get some shorter screen door return springs. Find one that's just slightly shorter than the span between the throttle cable mount point and the throttle rotor. Hook the spring up, and it'll help pull the throttle closed.

You could also take the throttle rotor off and get at the stock cicular spring and take some slack out of one of the springs by bending the wire further up the wire to make it tighter.

June 03 2005, 8:38 PM
Forum Moderator

What you can do is go to Home Depot and get some shorter screen door return springs. Find one that's just slightly shorter than the span between the throttle cable mount point and the throttle rotor. Hook the spring up, and it'll help pull the throttle closed.
You could also take the throttle rotor off and get at the stock cicular spring and take some slack out of one of the springs by bending the wire further up the wire to make it tighter.

LF; Thanks, that's food for thought, have you tried something like this yourself, and if so did it work?

Tunes; Sorry I didn't touch base this weekend. Got way behind in other projects, not to mention that my puter almost packed it in. Until I sort out all of these cyber gremlins, doing any sort of program additions may be a risky proposition. I'll have to take it one day at a time.

June 06 2005, 5:31 PM
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next