Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 13 2020, 7:17 AM

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Checking TPS 

Post Checking TPS
So I went into online shop manual on how to check TPS. It's bit unclear how to check TPS. Does ignition have to be ON?
Can someone walk me through step by step?

Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

August 16 2011, 11:45 PM
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

Post Re: Checking TPS
Sure bud.

Get yourself a feeler gauge and a phillips.

unplug/clear away stuff around the TPS till its easy to access, you'll need both hands in there. IDK how the other manifolds are, but the milli makes this hard.

detach the connector to the TPS.

From top to bottom, pin functions are:

-5v (input from ECM)
-TPS position (varying voltage sent to the ECM)
-Idle switch (ground -> 0% throttle)
-Ground

-probe the bottom two pins with your ohmeter, throttle fully closed. You should read 0 ohms (or very very close, just not infinity).

- if you get infinity, loosen the TPS screws and rotate it until you get 0 ohms. Tighten one to stop it from moving

-insert .15mm feeler gauge between the throttle wheel thing and the throttle stop. Check the continuity of the bottom two pins again, you should still get zero.

-insert a 0.5mm feeler, you should now get infinity ohms.
If you don't, loosen the TPS screw and turn it until you just get infinity.

bottom line,

no feeler gauge -> 0 ohms
0.15mm feeler -> 0 ohms
0.5mm feeler -> infinite ohms.

This should be repeatable and reliable. If it can't make up its mind exactly or if its too touchy it won't work right.

While you're messing around in there make sure the throttle stop is in the right place, it should be but just make sure that when you look down the TB the butterfly is fully closed.

NEXT!

jump TEN and GND and turn your ignition to ON, but turn off all electrical loads. Plug the TPS connector back in.

you need to probe into the second wire from the top (yellow) and the bottom one, ground (black/brown)

They make special tools to do this but you can just jam the point of your meter probe or a pin or something through the wire insulation.

0% throttle -> 0.1 to 1.1v
100% throttle -> 2.8 to 4.5v

Get a friend to do WOT inside the car, because sometimes the cable adjustment is your problem, so turning it by hand won't reveal the issue.

Scroll down in this thread, its more thorough....

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=47561

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

August 17 2011, 12:53 AM

Ignition does not have to be in ON position?
I've tried doing what you've described above but my multimeter would not read anything. What setting does my multimeter have to be in?

Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440

August 17 2011, 1:00 AM
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

resistance, any setting really, you're just looking for either 0 or infinity. Well, do the lowest setting (20 or 200 ohms maybe?) otherwise you'll just get an "out of range" signal for either.

If you're getting infinity all the time, turn the thing until you get 0. If you never get 0, time for a new TPS.

You're disconnecting the plug from the TPS, and measuring the TPS itself. The ignition doesn't have to be on because the TPS isn't even connected to the harness when you're working on it, you're looking for resistance, not a voltage.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback

August 17 2011, 8:14 AM

It's at 0 all the time (I opened/closed throttle body) and it stayed at 0 whole time. I thought I was supposed to get a reading.

August 17 2011, 7:12 PM
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Supporting Member

Turn your TPS untill you get a response. If no response I guess your TPS is pooched. :(

92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

August 17 2011, 10:09 PM

Daninski wrote:
Turn your TPS untill you get a response. If no response I guess your TPS is pooched. :(

I tried that, would car still run with bad TPS though. Does the ignition have to be in ON when I'm checking?

August 17 2011, 11:28 PM
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

No, it has nothing to do with ignition. I even like to take my TB off when I set the TPS because it's easier than doing it in the bay. It's just a potentiometer that changes resistence based on how much you turn it. I'm not sure what you're having trouble with, I set it just like the manual says with feeler gauges and it's perfect. You could do it the low-tech way and in diagnostic mode turn it until the fan turns on and then back a touch but it's going to be slightly less precise than with a volt meter. And the car will run with a bad/off-set TPS, your AFR will just be slightly off.

August 18 2011, 12:46 AM

Well I did use 2 bottom prongs and turned throttle by hand and it just stays at 0

August 18 2011, 12:53 AM
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

K well the simplified version of what the manual says is that basically when the throttle is closed there should be continuity between the bottom 2 terminals, but as soon as the throttle is open at least 0.5mm (0.020in), there should be no continuity. If you're positive that you measured everything correctly then I guess your TPS really is toast.

August 18 2011, 1:01 AM

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:
K well the simplified version of what the manual says is that basically when the throttle is closed there should be continuity between the bottom 2 terminals, but as soon as the throttle is open at least 0.5mm (0.020in), there should be no continuity. If you're positive that you measured everything correctly then I guess your TPS really is toast.

that would explain inconsistent idle

August 18 2011, 1:04 AM
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

UPDATE. Took off throttle body, cleaned it all up, adjusted TPS, now idles nice, I didn't even have to mess around with idle adjustment screw.

September 02 2011, 4:18 PM
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

Good stuff. . Do u get a signal yet on the volt meter? After cleaning

Previous rides
Purple94' Mx3 K8-ZE CAI, Exhaust, plugs,wires
Purple95' Mx3 K8 american, CAI, Exhaust, plugs, wires,cap/rotor fuel pump, short shift,
Black 94' Mx3 i4 Stock ( hit by dear )

September 03 2011, 3:16 AM
Profile WWW
Supporting Member

Taking the time to adjust this to perfection is beyond worth it. It's completely and utterly necessary for a smooth, constant idle.

'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL, 67mm TB, MegaSquirt, Coilpacks, 5 lugs, Speed6 brakes, FD wheels, wiretuck, progressive coilovers, shorty headers w/ custom collector, AEM WB, 2.5" straight, Borla XS
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc

September 03 2011, 4:59 AM

And idling around a parking lot. My car is an absolute idiot when it comes to idling, unless you get it perfect it lurches like death. Not meant to go slow :lol:

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback

September 03 2011, 8:16 AM
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next