Donate to the MX-3.com Forums
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 19 2019, 4:31 AM

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Monster MX-3 one day whirlwind road trip!!! 

Post Monster MX-3 one day whirlwind road trip!!!
OK so...I bought "93-Spec-Edn"s 93' Raspberry Metallic SE. Smokin car, great guy, excellent deal. Sooo happy.

I thought, maybe you'd all like to hear about my amazing adventure today. You would?!? That's great!!!

Here goes...

Up at 05:20MST. Shower, breakfast, dressed, out the door in a cab (because my lovely wife couldn't get her a-- out of bed to drive me) to the airport for my 07:30MST flight from Edmonton to Vancouver. Approximately an 85min flight but we're a little late getting off the ground due to de-icing the plane. So I land in Van at about 08:15PST and the seller is there to pick me up right on time. After figuring out the seriously convoluted Vancouver airport arrivals parking zone, we're outa there at 08:30PST (keep in mind that it's 09:30 in my head...and the Mountain Standard Timezone). Drive to his place, give the car a good once over, have a little talk about the datails, take it for a test drive, sign the papers and I'm gone by 09:45PST.

OK so I'm on the road.

NOW, it's 1250km home...and it's already 10:45 (at home)...and it's February...and the Rocky Frickin Mountains are between me and my bed. We ride (well, I ride, the seller stayed home with his new RX-8).

It's about +5C and raining in Van, so stage 1, Vancouver to Hope BC is pretty dull. I arrive in Hope at about noon. The highway to Hope is basically one outlying suburb after another. Hope is where the fun starts though...

OK we're in the mountains now. Not like the full size proper mountains yet, but they are mountains and this road is seriously NOT straight. Stage 2 from Hope to Cache Creek is the most fun I've had in a car in many years. About 30mins out of Hope the rain stopped, the road was dry and traffic was not too bad...it was frickin AWESOME!!!

closer view of said road...

and that's only the first 45 mins worth of Stage 2!

Stage 3, Cache Creek to Kamloops was fine. Uneventful. I arrive in Kamloops at about 3:30PST.

Stage 4, that's where it get's hairy.

Kamloops to Valemount is about 3 hours. They call Valemount "The Snow Belt". It is to snowmobilers as the Netherlands is to dope fiends. There's 4 - 8 feet of snow everywhere the eye can see. The first couple of hours of Stage 4 were OK. Just a little snow on the road but still a very nice day. But then the sun went down. Do you know how dark it is at night in the mountains? Oh and these aren't the fluffy little mountains like before. These are the serious Rocky Frickin Mountains.

So the sun is setting and it's getting progressively snowier the further North I go. Luckily though, I don't see a soul for quite a while, so I make pretty good time. Until I come up behind a Semi about 100km out. The problem is that the snow is light, because it's cold, so the trucks really kick it up as they go through it. There isn't alot of snow on the road at this point but each truck that passes me in the other direction has a trail of blowing snow behind it for about 200meters. Now I'm stuck in the snow rooster of this one ahead of me...and I can't see a damn thing. Let me tell you it's pretty scary...and twisty...and dark...and did I mention it's getting slippery? Passing this dude is maybe the scariest moment of the last few years of my life. I arrive in Valemount (thankful for my life) a little before 7pm.

From Valemount to Jasper and then from Jasper to Edmonton are pretty straight forward. About 5 and a half hours of blind, snow covered highway. You can't see the lane markings, it's the darkest darkness you can imagine and it's snowing to beat hell so with the low beams, you can't see far enough and with the high beams all you can see is billions of bits of white stuff flying staight at you. I finally arrive home at almost exactly 24:00hrs. 16 and half hours since I got on an airplane this morning. 1250km in 13 hours for the nicest MX-3 I've personnaly ever seen.

Man it was a trip. This car is so nice. The leather seats. The leather steering wheel. The engine has almost 300,000km on it and it runs like new. No squeeks, no smells. Awesome.

So, what did you guys do today?

2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

February 10 2008, 5:15 AM

Post Re: Monster MX-3 one day whirlwind road trip!!!
I sat on my butt, and did nothing. sounds like yours was way more fun!! :)

Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!

February 10 2008, 4:10 PM
Profile WWW

quite a road trip

Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

February 10 2008, 6:42 PM
Profile ICQ YIM WWW

wow...sounded fun to me

February 10 2008, 6:46 PM
Profile WWW

I found out my friend's dad backed into my car...$1,130 in damages according to a random bodyshop...

February 10 2008, 7:05 PM

Glad to see someone that loves the MX-3 as much as me!!! Thats quite a trip. But I bet it was well worth it.

February 10 2008, 8:57 PM

I saw the FS post for that car on Thursday and wanted to drive to Vancouver this weekend to get it :(

February 10 2008, 9:03 PM
Profile WWW

matt753 wrote:
I saw the FS post for that car on Thursday and wanted to drive to Vancouver this weekend to get it :(

Well Matt, I can't say I'm sorry you didn't get it. I was pretty bummed when it fell through the first time and I wasn't going to let it slip away again.

I have to say that the seller told me other's had offered him more money after we made our agreement and he told them no. It's nice to run into a guy with integrity these days.

I'm looking forward to getting bugged by my buddies at work tomorrow about the color.

My Worklog
My feedback thread

February 11 2008, 3:01 AM
Supporting Member

yah i was almost ready to go pick it up myself and swap all my stuff over to it but im trying not to spend too much right now. anyways good to see everything went good for you. maybe you should redo the drive this summer and come to the kelowna meet.

February 11 2008, 3:40 AM

That is an excellent idea. I was saying to the wife that I would like to do the drive in summer and go see our friends in Vernon. The Kelowna meet would be a great reason to come down. What's the date of the meet?

My Worklog
My feedback thread

February 11 2008, 11:31 AM
Supporting Member

ive brought it up but the alberta guys have not come up with a date yet, its looking like the last half of june or beggining of july. you should come, camping was pretty good last year.

February 11 2008, 12:20 PM
Supporting Member

Haha, that's awesome. Reminds me of my trip to get my second MX-3.

But my morning started at 5:00AM Saturday, flight to chattanooga to Charlotte NC, then an itinerary to Washington DC.

Then made a stop at virginia beach on the way home real quick, then chugged my way back home.

I arrived home at just about exactly 4:30AM Sunday.

Flew 750 Miles,
Drove 833 Miles.

What a ride.
I've never been so glad to buy a car that'd break on me multiple times, leave me stranded in cow pastures and waste so much of my money.

I'm still damn glad I got the car.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the fun you did on the windy roads :(

She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

February 11 2008, 12:22 PM

Dali...we would probably stay in Vernon with our friends, but definitely interested in coming down. Keep me in the loop.

SupeK...that's am impressive road trip. There's something deeply satisfying about making a massive effort for something you love for no other reason than that you love it. Most people said I was crazy to drive all that way in the weather I did for a 15 year old car...but I know why it had to be done. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

My Worklog
My feedback thread

February 11 2008, 1:12 PM
Forum Moderator

sounds like a fun trip! - a few years ago I drove from Memphis, TN to Bullhead City AZ in one trip... left at noon on saturday, arrived at 11am sunday - just me and the klze :o

1500 miles
24 hours

almost running out of gas in the middle of the night in the middle of a freezing desert? priceless...

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Mooneggs

February 11 2008, 1:42 PM
Profile WWW

Mooneggs wrote:
almost running out of gas in the middle of the night in the middle of a freezing desert? priceless...

tell me about it...when I rolled into Jasper at 8pm the low fuel light had been on for about half an hour. Night time in the moutains at -35C and low on fuel...scary.

My Worklog
My feedback thread

February 11 2008, 2:16 PM
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next